StCroix Crankin Rod

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatrap

Reaction score
I notice last night when I was getting my stuff ready to load back into the boat that my favorite crankin stick, a StCroix seven footer, had a white chalky film from the butt to the first guide. I looked like the surface had oxidized but ended in a distint line not just fading to the normal color.

I used a clear coat polishing compound and it removed all but the area around the first guide. I'v been fishing since bone hooks and grape vine string and never seen a rod change colors. It appears to be fine otherwise. Any ideas. It wasn't a cheap rod either.

fatrap

Sounds to me like you got a case of mold/mildew on your rod. Tough stuff to get off. I have the same problem if I leave rods in my locker and button up the boat. That's why I started taking all of my gear out especially after a trip in the rain.

TOXIC

I had a similar problem with a Falcon Lowrider. In one spot about 6 inches long between the grip and the first guide it turned from the chocolate brown color to a milky tan. There was no texture difference and no sign of damage. I took it back to the Falcon main office in Tulsa and they replaced the rod. The guy that helped me told me they had some "bad blanks". About a year later the new rod did exactly the same thing. I took it back to Falcon again. This time I got a different guy... a little older.... looked like management. He said he knew nothing about "bad blanks" and started naming of things that I might have done to the rod. None of them were close to anything I had done to the rod except fish with it. He replaced the rod but I got the impression that would be the last exchange. Fortunately, that rod hasn't turned color.

Gawd. I bought the rod ten years ago and it's served me well. Should I try and send it back to St.Croix? What do you think?

fatrap

Fatrap go on there website & make contact with them & see what they say or they have a phone # for customer contact. Try it you might be surprised.I had a problem with one of mine & called them & they said send us the bad rod & they sent me a replacement.

Latest posts

Back