Starting Battery

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed Rife

Reaction score
When the motor is running does it put in charge back into the cranking Battery? Dont laugh guys Im still new...

Yes, but newer engines do put a slight drain on the cranking battery, so maintain a good charge on them so you don't go out one morning expecting it to fire and it is dead. I don't know why but they do. Used to be you never had to mess with the cranking side.

Yea Mike I found the Premium oil and hand pump at Walmart in Wise Va...I went and scouted out a lake today John Flannagan Resivoir (forgive the spelling) and went on over to Wise..I bought some Premium Lower unit oil.Startron,Marine Stabil,and SeaFoam..The seafoam and marine stabil where bought ay Tractor Supply...I bought a gallon of Quicksiolver Premium 2 cycle oil as well my tank is full But I'll have it next summer.

I bought the seafoam because I couldnt find quickleen anywhere...I appreciate you guys a lot it's nice to get the help. Im a mechanic by trade,welder,etc but Im out of my surrounding here with a bass boat in my garage lol. I added a 12v port for a light or phone charger also..Neat job looked good. Made some rod hold downs too like the rod tamers you see.

Dang, sounds like your all set, I was in Walmart yesterday and had thought I had seen the Quickleen but no so after reading some post I think I'm going the same way as you, use seafoam and have been using the stabil but that is mainly for gas treatment and not the carb build up. I have been using seafoam for awhile now in my cycle since I had to have the carbs rebuilt after having it stored and the mechanic suggested the seafoam.. That 12v port will come in handy, my PT 185 came with one and have used it many times..I hope you have a short winter so you can use your beauty...

If your gas has ethanol in it make sure you use the Marine Stabil that treats gas with ethanol, it prefents phase separation = real bad. The regular cheaper Stabil is for ethanol free gas. I'm lucky we still have 2 places we can get ethanol free fuel.

I bought the marine Stabil for the ethanol worries and seafoam to stabilize...I picked up some Statron as well since they had it..

Ed,...what size motor do you have?? If you have a 200-225+ it probably has a 60amp alternator on it that will recharge your cranking battery on longer runs.....if it's a smaller motor,...it will not get the extra boost from running that the larger motors put out, so it's important to put a trickle charger on your cranking batt (I'd recmd at least a 10-15amp) periodically....especially if the boat's going to sit for a week or two,..and after every use if you run your electronics and livewell pumps etc off of the cranking batt.

Good luck...and welcome to the site.

Mac

Thanks Mac it's a 60HP and I'll keep it charged up...You guys have been a tremendous help to this newbie..

Latest posts

Back