starting a tournament from scratch

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike chip

Reaction score
as many of you know i lost a dear friend recently, alot of the guys we fished with are asking me to hold a memeorial tournament for next year and donatate some of the entrance fees to charity. I have no problem doing it, but how to go about doing it is another problem, and if im going to put forth the effort i am going to try to go all out and make a difference. so i know if i am to do this i need to get donations for prizes and set rules and advertise and so on, but how do i go about getting a tax id (i guess this is needed to prove to sponsers its legit) or what not to keep it all legal.

mike c

Don't forget about insurance and a permitt to hold a tournament in your state (if required) I suspect you will need a federal id (irs)and determine if it is non profit or not for profit tournament. Then you will be able to give your sponsors reciepts for there donations so they can deduct them at the end of the year. After you get all your ducks in a row, it's just a matter of knocking on doors stating your cause, what kind of numbers of anglers and guest you are hoping for and maybe a mock up flyer with there name and logo already in place and the charity you are going to support.

Good Luck

BF

YEAH, what Bruce said... I addition you may want to put your request in for a venue... sometimes they can book up to a year in advance. If you are thinking of Anna, you may want to talk to Sturgeon Creek (Chris) Tox may have some input there. This area is flooded with tournaments, make sure your payout is enticing enough to lure the teams in. you will get a few who will fish it for the cause... most are out for a check! door prizes and maybe a raffle after the tourny, if you can get the donations. there are a thousand ways to approach this!

KB

Mike - Let me know when you have it. I would be more than happy to help work it with you (and others). I've been known to have a heavy thumb during weigh-in. LOL Our business (Lake Anna Connections) would be happy to donate something as a prize, as well. Chris James, at Sturgeon Creek is a great guy and assuming that the weekend is free from other TXs I am sure he would be amenable to the TX and the location is a great place for a TX. If he is tied up with TXs let me know and I can hook you up with the new owners of Anna Point Marina. Depending when you have it we can do a little advertising for you in the future (Spring Edition) of our publication which comes out in mid-April.

Wish I could offer up the hot side for the TX but it is "illegal" to have TXs on the private side. If we could I imagine every body and their brother would want to fish it. However, that doesn't stop us from our Memorial Invitational on the 1st of December. LOL :D:D:D

thanks guys,

the info is very helpful guys, i was thinking of having it on the potomac, because most people prefer it and it is easy tro hide from the jet skis if you want. i am still trying to gather info on whats needed and trying to find a charity that is for kids that is local. since steve was raised in foster holmes it would be only fitting. and thanks for the offer to advertise and the prize bill, i might take you up on it, if i can get this ball rolling this thing will be a go.

mike c

bill, have a great trip and i will see you on the 1st. i assume we are launching at safe light;), i might need to race toxic to our topwater spot first thing in the morning. dont forget i have some baits and maybe a guitar coming your way.

If you are a member of a bass club or can involve one the federation will cover the insurance issue. Also take a look at USanglerschoice.net and read there rules, they are pretty standard and include the amount of insurance each boat owner must have (again pretty standard)if it was a bass or flw event. A local charity would be the way to go so that those that care will know their money went to a good cause and not lost in the big charity payroll..

BF

Make sure you get with Mac. He does some great plaques for prizes in tournaments. First place and big bass awards are his specialty. I am certain he would be happy to help.

Mini

Latest posts

Back