Starting a Mercury 90 hp outboard

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary Weaver

Reaction score
I use this procedure is it correct????

1. pump the fuel line bulb until it fills with gas

2. set the throttle control to fast idle about half way

3. push in the key to choke and then turn key

the motor will start and run a few seconds then it will quit. I have noticed that just before it quits you can press the key in again for a second and it runs a little longer. is this bad? am i doing something incorrectly?

i would like to just have to crank the motor once and keep it running - less wear and tear on the parts?

Thanks

Yep, I feel your pain. My 90hp Mercury/Tracker is a piece of junk. and Mercury customer service is non existant.

Anyway, your procedure seems correct. I would have the carbs adjusted. I'm told on the 3 cyl motors it is tough to get the link & sync just right.

Assuming that it is the carbureted version.....

1.) Trim the motor to so that it is verticle.

2.) Pump the fuel bulb until it is hard.

3.) Don't touch the throttle.

4.) Turn the key to the "On" position.

5.) Press the key in a few times.

6.) Now crank!

I've found that, on initial start-up, the carburetors are sensitive to trim.

Openning the throttle will open the butterflies in the carburetor and not "choke" it as well.

The key must be in the "On" position for the prime system to work. (Right, Bob B.!!)

me!

Hey Weaver,

My 90hp is not a piece of junk, she's just a little cold blooded sometimes. I couldn't start her cold to save my life when I first got her. Yesterday I started the motor for the first time in over 3 months and I had NO PROBLEM.

My procedure:

1.) Trim as Scott mentioned

2.) with the key I do 3 pumps then hold.

She'll usually start right up. If it stalls the first time then I'll add a little as throttle as you mentioned and she'll stay running after that.

When brand new I had some problems until my 20 hour service. I don't know if they adjusted something or if my own experience just got me better at it.

Good luck,

Marke

I have an '88 60hp merc 3 cyl. and I do pretty much the same thing. Actually I used to pump the fuel bulb but I found I actually don't even have to do that. I have never paid too much attention to my trim though. I usually just trim it down a little after the tilt stops and trim starts cause im tryin to get it started fast usually. I give it a little gas with the fast idle and hold my key in as I crank and it usually takes about 2 seconds to start and then usually won't stall as long as I keep the fast idle up to 2000rpms. Keep in mind my motor usually stalls when idling even when warm. The idle needs to be adjusted just a bit faster. Other than that it runs like a clock. Im not sure why yours won't stay running with the fast idle on a bit. Sorry I can't be more help.

I had the same problem - same engine. The key here is the advice that someone else left in earlier posts, and has been stated here.

The 'choke' on these carbs is actually an acellerator pump. When you push the key in, it gives a small gas 'charge'(as I understand it) to the carb/fuel system.

I clearly understood it the last time out. It was cold, and I hadn't run the engine in about 3 weeks. I finally gave it a good 3-4 'shots', and the engine cranked right up, then died. I hadn't gotten the fuel line 'full' as yet.

Tex

125 Merc.

Trim the motor level

pump the bulb till it real hard

turn the key on and push in to prime 5 seconds if below 50 degrees.

advance throttle just a tad

crank her over

Latest posts

Back