Sta-Bil or Seafoam?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eric nichols

Reaction score
Is Seafoam ok to use as a stabilizer for winter or should I use Sta-bil? I have about a 1/2 a bottle of Seafoam and 1/4 tank of gas. Thanks....

Eric

Eric.....I have been using Seafoam for a long time for all my engines, it does a lot of different things....Cleans carbs, injectors, stabilizes, removes moisture from fuel and even if you add it to oil.....good stuff...just follow directions...good luck

Good advice above by Mike.

Just and echo of what he said, but Sta-bil is just a gas preservative. Seafoam is a preservative and does everything like Mike says. So, why use Sta-bil when Seafoam is such a superior product?

I use it in everything I own, including lawn mowers, gas trimmers, leaf blower, etc, etc.

I normally use an ounce per gallon during grass cutting season. Before I store everything for winter I will double it during the last time or two.

I will tell you this, price Seafoam at several places. The last time I went to autozone, it was $7 or more a can. Try all of your automotive places. It is MUCH cheaper to buy it buy the gallon. The cheapest place I found it by the gallon was Tractor Supply Co. for $50. You do the math. You probably get close to 3 times more for your money getting it buy the gallon by that price.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/vehicle-maintenance-accessories/vehicle-lubricants-oil/automotive-additives/sea-foam-reg-motor-treatment-for-gas-and-diesel-engines-1-gal--1300665

Marine Sta-bil is the best value 1 oz to 5 gal. I use it in everything all year round and double up for the winter. I use Seafoam in the first tank of the season for everything as a cleaner, so far so good. But that was with e10, with e15 on the way I am thinking we are all screwed?

BF

both.....I use a well known "cocktail" of 1 oz ea. of seafoam, quickleen, and stabil per 6 gal of gas.

I use Marine Stabil and Quikleen every tank. I know Seafoam has a great reputation and many people swear by it, but I don't feel secure in treating an alcohol problem (ethanol) with more alcohol (isopropyl) in a two stroke. You're doing the right thing as long as you are treating your fuel with the amount agents being added by the time it hits the pump. Even when using 100% gas I recommend Marine Stabil and Quikleen (or Yamaha's Ring Free). Good luck! ;)

Seafoam is not for treating the gas. It is for cleaning/preventing carbon and carbon builup in your engine.

That is what Quikleen does without adding an additional 10-20% more isopropyl alcohol per content's volume. ;)

I use Marine Stabil and Quikleen every tank. I know Seafoam has a great reputation and many people swear by it, but I don't feel secure in treating an alcohol problem (ethanol) with more alcohol (isopropyl) in a two stroke. You're doing the right thing as long as you are treating your fuel with the amount agents being added by the time it hits the pump. Even when using 100% gas I recommend Marine Stabil and Quikleen (or Yamaha's Ring Free). Good luck!

I agree with that 100%. I dont use seafoam in my outboard for the simple reason that its ~20% alcohol, another ingredient is naphtha which is more or less lighter fluid. Im not sure i want that in my two stroke either....

I like other sea foam products, the deep creep spray is a fantastic penetrating lubricant and the bugs b gone spray is the best bug remover i have ever used.

Latest posts

Back