Speedometer troubleshooting

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff Brekke

Reaction score
I have a 2002 188 Sport with a 115hp Merc. My speedometer at dash doesn't move. If I disconnect the small hose at leading edge of lower unit and blow into it the speedometer needle moves, so I don't think I have any blockage in that side. But, from there I don't see where the inlet is for speedometer on this motor is. Some sites say there is a small inlet port on the leading edge of lower unit, bit not on this one that I can see. Anyone know?

yes there is a small cut out on the front of the lower unit. Run your finger done the edge and you should feel it. with a small vise grip twist a small drill bit inside and see if you get any debris from the hole. you should not go past the 1.5 inches on the drill bit. if the hole is clear you will bump into the back wall of that tube, don't drill into this as this goes into the lower unit. do not put drill bit into a drill motor at all.

Andre bass is right. You will find it by running your finger down the lower unit. Take a 1/16 drill bit in between thumb and forefinger and rotate it back and forth in the hole. Pull it out and clean off the wood filings that build up on it. Repeat. It’s painstaking, but works. Again, no drill. It will snap that bit in half in an instant then that’s it!

Found it. It was so packed with debris that it was easy to miss. Used the drill bit, cleaned it out as best I could. Next time on water will be the test. Thanks all for the tip.

Found it. It was so packed with debris that it was easy to miss. Used the drill bit, cleaned it out as best I could. Next time on water will be the test. Thanks all for the tip.
Hey Jeff, you’ll know if you’ve gotten it completely cleaned out, as the bit will slide in and out fairly easy. If it doesn’t, and it bottoms out without going all the way in, then there is still debris in there. Good luck bud.

I have a 2003 288 Sport and eventually gave up on the speedo and just installed a Lowrence Hook2 GPS unit. Provides speed, water temp, depth, waypoints, fish finder, etc. Simple install. Hard to beat for $120.

Yea, I have the GPS units as well, just don't like things that don't work ;)

My next one is my water pressure gauge. Pulled out of storage and the needle is working backwards from 30 psi when off to 20 psi when running. Stream is steady out of motor though.

Latest posts

Back