speedometer 640 lx

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed Rife

Reaction score
Guy's what usuall is the thing to look for when the speedometer doesent work? Thats the only thing that doesent work on the Boat,

I had the same problem when I bought my 640. On the front of the lower unit on the motor, there should be a small hole where water enters for the speedometer. 9Called a pitot I think) Make sure that hole is clear. There is also a tube from your motor to the speedometer. That should be clear also. If clearing the hole doesn't work, try the tube. Hope this helps.

Dennis

Ed....Dennis is correct, it's a very small pickup hole and then feeds to the rubber hose outside of engine going to Speedo.... very temper mental ( worse than any woman I have come across) and mine is always getting clogged since I fish shallow and therefore muddy water.

I have cleaned pick up hole and blown out hose from both ends and it only takes one outing and it's clogged....so now it doesn't bother me as I have always been more concerned with the RPM's which I really watch when running close to full bore. I run 5200 to 5300 with full trim most of the time, might run it up to 5500 max but always trim or throttle back some after it hits 5500...gps says I'm running 44 after doing that and tha's good for me..

Dont know what kind of motor you have, but usually under the motor cowl there is a small thin tube that goes to the lower unit. I say this because at this point there is probably a union joining the tube together. Just push in on the fitting and then pull out the tubing from the speedometer side. Blow into the tube and see if the needle moves alittle. It wont move alot since it takes alot of pressure to make it work. If it does move a little then the tube is clear and ok from that side. Then take the other side off and blow into it. If you cant the hole is probably plugged in the lower unit. Now get a cup of coffee or a beer(might take a few minutes lol) and also a real small drill bit. DONT put the drill bit in a drill. Use your fingers and turn the bit into the hole. It will collect the wood, gunk etc. Pulll it out clean it off and keep doing it until it is clean. Once clean you should be able to blow through it without too much resistance. If it is real bad you might have to remove the lower unit and work from the top side also.

Mike Id like to find a depth/gps deal that would mount in that hole and remove the speedo there useless any way I think Im not worried about how fast Im going any way. I was wondering how they work thought and once again you guys are all over it.

Thanks

Ed....I'm glad to help when I can, it's all past experience for me and I'm the type to take things apart just to find out how they work....The GPS I used is the one I use in my truck and when I'm on my cycle...it's not very useful for the boat except to check speed....It would be nice to find one like you are talking about...

One of the guys at the office and I was discussing this. I had mine stopped up after bumping a stump. I took a small drill bit and my hand slowly worked the wood out of the whole. The guy I was visiting with had an ideal, bad one unfortunaly. He decided to put an air hose against the inlet and see if he could blow it clear. He found that he blew the hose off the nipple inside the lower unit. Now a little job just got tougher.

I think I know why it doesent work now..It was never hooked up..Has a rubber closed end connector over tube and tie strap holding it in place on the motor.

Latest posts

Back