Smokin'

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Edward Lea.

Reaction score
Hey everyone. The smokers going with the big pork roast and some whole chikens. I am not a pro smoker by any stretch. We fire up the smoker 3 maybe 4 times a year. I was picking up charcoal yesterday and they had hardwood LUMP charcoal so I got that to try it out. I gotta tell you kingsford is out of business at our house. This LUMP stuff really is superior. :D I am not having any trouble hold the temp steady at all. In the past it was a all day struggle with the little charcoal to hold the temp, this lump stuff just holds the temp dead steady. Man this is really a much more enjoyable day with this LUMP hardwood charcoal. For all you part time smokers out there if you haven't tried it you have gotta give it a try. Now all I gotta do is sit here and smell the smoker and the homemade Sundried Tomato/Asiago cheese bread baking in the kitchen oven, it is going to be a great supper. Hope you all have a good holiday weekend.

Ed,

You used the real-deal! Real hardwood charcoal is definately the way to go. I use Cowboy brand myself (only brand available) and only use the Kingsford when I want to grill some 'burgers or 'dogs. For steaks, chicken, turkey, pork or fish (yes I said "fish") it's the good stuff. My grill manufacturer (Primo) recommends to only use a natural lump charcoal. Labor Day weekend called for heavy smoker usage to: Ribs, chicken and steaks! Try some of the flavoring woods to like some Mesquite for chicken or Hickory for beef and pork.

Greg Walters at Humminbird

I will have to give those a try Greg. When the day was done I only used 1/3 the charcoal I usually use.

However, I hAve learned to "mix" it up... I use the lump charcoal and Kingsford brand "Competition" charcoal... Depends on where I want my temp to stay... The lump charcoal burns a little hotter and faster than the competition Kingsford...

My "modded" CharGrill smoker with a side fire box likes to be fed charcoal every 30 minutes to hold at 200 to 225 ; depends on the charcoal mix lump and Kingsford Competition 50/50, roughly, holds at 225, I can get slightly hotter with pure lump, at every 20 minutes in the fire basket about 6"x10" X 8" high...

Greg,

I looked the Primo up on the web. I don't know anyone else with that type of smoker. It looks interesting. I have had Webers for years. And, I have had two vertical charcoal/wood smokers. Most of my friends have Webers (or "shudder" gas grills). So when I took the plunger for a horizontal smoker I talked to friends and did some research. Ended up with the CharGrill. I am happy with it... Made some small modifications (better wheels, added two more thermometers, changed the racks in the side fire box, added baffles for smoking) But, the choice was made based on several experiences working with friends with their horizontal smokers.

I am fascinated by your post about using very little chasrcoal.

The competition charcoal is a pressed briquette. I know it is not a "pure" charcoal but it adds flexibility to my temperature control. I also use wood in the fire box in some instances where I want to cook at 300+ degrees.

The CharGrill web site has some good info and a "forum".

You guys are making me hungry!! When I got to Florida, I bought a sideXside gas/Charcoal Charbroil with the hopes that I could get by with the smoking that I wanted to do. I am used to my electric smoker at home where I just put a huge bowl of water (actually, I use wine and/or beer) and some soaked chips and I am good for the whole day. Did some ribs "old style" with the new unit here and have to admit, I'm a little rusty but I sure do miss the side firebox because keeping the temp up when you have to lift the lid to add charcoal is a pain and with the coals directly under the meat you have to deal with flare ups. The things we go through for smoked meat!!

TOXIC

I am on my way out to the meat market for a fresh "butt" to do tomorrow...

I've got a big rack of ribs in the freezer, Hickory chips from home (2 years ago I cut up a huuuuuge Hickory that fell and saved a bunch of wood for smoking) and charcoal. Hmmmmmm...:lol::lol:

TOXIC

Got a 12 1/2lb "fresh ham" , butt. Cleaned up the smoker a bit. Made sure I had enough of everthing I need and invited the whole family for pulled pork. Wife makes the cole slaw... I just do meat and beans on the smoker...;)

Got the "butt" on the smoker this morning at 3:45am... It is looking real good now at 7:00am... Expect it to be ready to "pull" about 6:30pm.

Well, it is out of the smoker and finishing up "resting" before I pull the meat off the bone. Tox, there is a seat open if you can get here for dinner (at 7:00pm)...

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm... And, there ARE leftovers...:D

Greg, (and any other "Pitmasters" on here...

Follow the link below then "Reference Material" > "BBQ Forums". Some pretty good info available on all of them. The BBQ Bible site is very good...

In the list, at the BBQ Forum there is a subforum for Ceramic Smokers...
http://www.chargriller.com/forums.php