Sizing

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave D

Reaction score
Hey guys, have 2010 189 sport which i got last summer. It came with a 12v/46 lb thrust motor. Not very happy with the power and wondering how nitro even got away with the sizing. If i upgrade to an 80lb is there harm in over powering or should I stick to somewhere in between?

Get the strongest you can afford. A lower setting on a strong motor will get you the same speed as a high setting on a weaker motor, and will not drain your battery as fast.

Absolutely not. If you have room for 3 batteries, then I would go 36v 100lb + thrust. You will never regret more TM power. Lasts longer, mows through weeds when you need it, great in the wind and on and on. The ONLY downside is that with smaller boats the extra weight of another battery is a performance consideration. They cost more and you have the cost of another battery and you will need a different batter charger as well. When installing, it would be a good time to upgrade the TM wiring as well. I consider none of the downsides more than the benefit.

Dave,

24v as a minimum, but you must also make sure your wiring/circuit breaker meet minimum requirements of 8ga wiring and 60amp breaker for a 80# unit(50amp for 101v unit).

Reference:

United States Code of Federal Regulations: 33 CFR 183

Dave - I just picked up my Fish/Ski, I had the dealer (it was a used boat w/no trolling motor) put a 24 volt 75lb Motor Guide, having run 45lb motors on my old 17ft fishing boat, this 75lb is a beast!! With 3 of us in the boat on Sunday on '1' it was pulling just fine! Like the other guys said go 24v at least.

Always great feedback. Thx. Also does motorguide have a standard mounting bracket with all its models? If not would a minn kota be the way to go or stick with motorguide?

Latest posts

Back