Shallow Bass in the Soggy Southeast

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan J.

Reaction score
Spent the past 5 days fishing N FL and had a BLAST! Got drenched going down Thurs. and even coming back Weds. night, but fished 90% in clear skies. Caught a bunch of post-spawn schoolers on jerkbaits suspending close to deeper water, yet still found most better fish in a foot or less, hugging cypress trees & knees in shallow, new flooded water. (The Disney World of Frog Fishing!!! :lol: ) The rains had the water up and out of the banks most everywhere we went along the ponds linked to the Suwanee River. We spent most of the days with the motor jacked and trimmed up with a water bottle under the TM, kicking up the bottom and boating some dandy heads. If you can imagine two fat guys like me and my buddy fishing 12" of water on average, I'd say I'm pleased with the final outcome of my Skiff project! I just wanted to share a few pics and tell y'all to go shallow as possible when fishing these recently flooded waters in the Soggy Southeast. ;) :D

IMGP1689.JPG

IMGP1693.JPG

Nice fish Dan! Going to try to get out first time this season on Sunday - after repainting the trailer and replacing the bunk boards.

Thanks Jim. I hope you load the boat Sunday! Just don't get that pretty new trailer dirty!!! :lol: :D

I fish a 100 acre lake most of the time because it is less than a mile away. The average depth is only about 7 feet and with the temp change and he recent 3 inches of rain, the bass haven't really started biting yet, as of Wednesday of this week, but some friends have been fishing the Savannah River a good bit, 15 miles away, and say they are doing very well. I guess I may have to venture a little further away in the near future. Heading for the coast for a week and am going to try my luck with the Redfish.

Nice to see you haven't lost the touch Dano!!:lol: Give us some info on what frong you use, in what color and if you modify it. I'm dyin to know because it seems you throw a frog a lot, we're gonna nickname you Rojas!!:p

TOXIC

Tox - I use primarily the Spro Bronzeye and Bronzeye Jr. in Green Tree, Natural Green, and Camoflauge. (Big one early and late in the day, Jr. in between.) Regardless of which size, I trim about 1/2" off one leg (walks great like this!) and add a Zoom tube rattle inside. (Big glass rattle with a couple buckshot.) If you lube the rattle with a little spit it will gently slide up inside where the double hook shank exits the body. Let it roll around in there loose. It ain't coming back out and it sounds great! On a long cast you will still be able to hear it rattle way out. I've had 'em bust through a mat just keeping the frog in place and rattling it on a slack line. (65# braid) I used to retire them when they lost their float. I've found to get more use or to save a good soldier frog I'll break up a packing peanut and stuff a bit into the hollow cavity with the rattle then seal the tears/holes with Mend-It or Huddle-Bond and color back with sharpies. These also come in handy for a back-seater needing a bait like the one hanging off your pole. ;)

Nice fish Dan! Man, those fish are dark comapred to the ones from the River right now......

Well, I do all that and CIII did an enema rattle job on my frog (Barney) last weekend. I went out today to BPS and bought a couple bags of the rattles and will become versed as a frog proctologist!!:lol::lol: You gonna throw the poppin frog? I also heard that some spread the hooks for a better hookset?

TOXIC

Hate to say it, but I'm not too impressed with the Poppin' Frog. I imagine in a more open water situation it would cause some attraction, but I'd rather use a Rico or Splash-It there. In the "jungle" fishing I like to frog, the cup on the PF grabs weeds and stuff causing it to tumble instead off hop. On the hooks, I tried enhancing the gap on a couple early on, but it only resulted in more hangups and trash collecting. The hooks in the factory configuration works best for me. The original (and Jr.) still suits the bill for me.

11.7lb Monster 3-30-07.JPG

Great pics Dan!!

I hope to get out fishing someday when it stops raining and snowing!!

Dan,

How much did you hook enhance? I was thinking jsut a smidge may help with hookups????

I have a new PF, that I am hoping is the secret weapon the Potomac this year.....as soon as the grass is up some I hope to find out!

Carlos - I found exagerating the hook gap created more problems than solution. With the hooks from the factory laid flat against the body of the frog, I get much less trash on the hooks or hangups in cattails and such. The Bronnzeye hooks out of the pkg. have been left as-is since I tried to "improve" them. :lol: I spend more time fishin' and less time clearing junk off that way. :D

Let me know how you guys like the new Poppin' Frog. I didn't spend a lot of time on it after experiencing some difficulties in heavy vegetation. The doggone mouth on the thing kept grabbing stems, leaves and such that it wouldn't hop, it just tumbles and rolls from the inevitable pulling free from the mouth catching debris. Let me know how it works for you! :)

Grass here sould be up in a month or so. I plan on giving it a run for the money this year. Hammer hooked me up with the exact color of the frog that I wore out on the River.....

I will provide a status report as soon as the grass is up, or as soon as I get back from Okianwa..which ever comes first!

Latest posts

Back