rough idle/hard start

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff Daubert

Reaction score
I have an '05 xr6 150 that at the beginning of this year was tuned up. Every maintainence thing that could be done to it was. The first couple of time's out it started right up and idled great. Now it seems to idle rough, sometimes stalls, and usually is a bear to restart after it sets while I'm fishing. To restart it i usually have to open up the throttle about 3/4 of the way open. Once I get it fired it runs great. Any suggestions?

Could be synch & link or bad gas, filter restriction(s), ethanol deterioration (gummed carbs or any other fuel line componant), plus a plethora of other things hard to diagnose unseen. Start simple. Next time it happens, check the primer ball and see if it's firm. If not, the purge valve inside is probably plugged or toast and a new ball will make you whole. In the mean time spin the spark plugs out and check for fouling. Could be that simple and a typical summer malady. Good luck! ;)

Not a mechanic but my 75 has always started rough and once warm runs like a champ . I have just come to the conclusion that this is the way my motor is . The one thing I do know is that if I try and start her trimmed up its next to impossible but all the way down is a-ok .

John

Latest posts

Back