Rev limiter??

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kenny Benoit

Reaction score
I installed my new 19' High Five Prop on my 189 Sport. Hole shot is great! However I can still get the analog RPM gauge showing far beyond the safe WOT of 5600.

I have a 2007 150 EFI, my question is isn't there a rev limiter? I wasn't paying attention at one point and when i looked down my RPMs were showing 6500! I was doing about 45mph GPS. And I was lightly loaded compared to my normal outings. I'm sure I may have been trimmed up to high I was just surprised it didn't hit a limit.

The motor will go "rich" when it starts to turn "higher" rpm's. An occasional 6500 rpm burst will NOT hurt it.

I guess it is a function of many things and particularly the prop but at WOT with a 150 I would have guessed a speed greater than 45 mph for a 189 Sport.

Yeah I hoped for more, but Top speed isn't my priority. I'll try to see how the hole shot is with a load this weekend and hopefully I will be satisfied with the difference over the Laser II.

Is that trimmed out wot? I get 53 out of my 288 sport with a carb.150 xr6.laser 2 19 prop.

Please remember that Kenny B's goal was to have a great hole-shot. The "hi-five" accomplishes that task handily. It will sacrifice top-end...and....due to underpropping slightly, will lose slightly again. If hole-shot is what you want...look for no other prop. His boat would go faster, no doubt, with a Tempest or Laser. :cool:

That's correct, and I am very pleased thus far with the hole shot, I was just surprised that the top end speed was pretty much the same as the Laser II 21' with maybe a 2 MPH decrease. The Laser is in very good condition, could the limited top end be due to the pitch being 21'. But if it were lower I would get even more RPM and it was already at max safe WOT. Or should I only expect 2-3 MPH more out of the Laser compared to the High Five. I'll be using the Laser in more hazard filled waters were i fish but if i need to have it re pitched or something I would do that.

P.S. Thanks again for the advice on the High Five it absolutely met my needs.

Latest posts

Back