Repairing Loose Boat Carpet

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Smith

Reaction score
I have a few areas in my TV-18 where the carpet adhesive has failed.....1 or 2 spots are larger than an average size dinner plate. Does anyone have any pratical suggestions in repairing these areas, short of removing the carpet altogether and re gluing.

I thought someone mentioned some time ago, using a syringe/needle and going right through the carpet, then rolling over the area with a weighted roller. I was considering giving this a shot but was wondering if the carpet adhesive would be too thick to shoot through a syringe and then roll..?

I'm really not sure what the deal is with the adhesive that tracker used...I seem to have more and more spots appearing every year where the adhesive has failed. It's really perplexing, since I keep my rig garaged and it really hasn't been soaked a whole lot over the years. I do shampoo the carpet twice a year and apply scotchguard. I was beginning to suspect that the scotchguard may be having some sort of chemical reaction with the adhesive, but the can indicates that it is perfectly safe to use on adhesives.

Perhaps the Elmers glue stick they used to apply the carpet was just plain junk.

I say a meat injector would work fine. Just cut a small slice in the carpet for the needle.

Steve

Years ago I spilled Fish Formula on my carpet it soaked through and the glue failed. Are you sure something didn't get spilled on the carpet? If that was the case squirting new glue won't help because the backing is ruined and it won't stick. The only way I got mine to stick was recarpet and clean the deck very well.

Fatrap

Nothing spilled.....I'm sure of that..other than coffee.

Whats odd is that none of the carpet on the aluminum deck lids is coming loose...just on the wood portions of the deck...perhaps something in the treated wood..??

The meat injector is a good idea..

What I learned when I re-carpeted mine is that there is a different glue used for the aluminum lids and deck. MUCH stronger. The carpet tore up in chunks. Had to hack away at it with a putty knife to get the glue residue off. Then hit it with a sander.

Maybe it's a type of contact cement used since you can't use staples to hold it tight untill a regular glue dries.

Steve
4631.gif

Latest posts

Back