removing prop plugs?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Junyaah G

Reaction score
I have a 2012 Nitro z6 and its slow to come up on plane. I have read that removing a plug from the prop will help tramendously. My question is how do you remove them and where are they at? I could go look but i am at work now and i just want to be prepared for when i get home this evening. Thank you.

try this http://www.mercurymarine.com/propellers/advantage/technologies/pvs/

Not all props have them, mine is 90hp two stroke motor 2007 and I don't have them.

yes my prop has em i just googled it haha..its a laserII 22p prop..just gota figure out how to get one off

They are not easy to get off. When I finally removed mine,they were so marred up I had to throw them out and get new ones. Maybe someone knows a good way to remove them. If you have the solid ones, try drilling them out in place and center the hole. Start small and work your way up to you find what works. The hole sizes are listed on Mercs website are: Small - 7mm (.280"), Medium - 9mm (.350"), Large - 12mm (.470").

I removed one plug from my 2012 Z6 and it made a huge difference. I removed mine by using a small pocket size flat screwdriver. I worked it in beside the plug and pryed it out with no issues. It took a little patience but I got mine out with only a scratch on it in good usable condition. Hope this helps.

To remove the PVC plugs without messing them up, I use a 3/8's socket extension and tap it firmly with a hammer. It drives the plugs inside the prop with one hit. Then remove the plug from the hub of the prop. It leaves them in perfect condition if you do it right.

Take out one plug, leave 2 large in, fit an SE300 Sport and you won't believe the difference and wonder why you didn't do it straight away.

Ok here ya go... take you a clothes hanger straighten it out and put it through the plug and out the end of the prop... then just push the pvs plug through the inside of the prop, it will go through very easy, the hanger will keep the plug from falling back into the prop into the exhaust.. (like mine did) hope this helps

Latest posts

Back