Rebuild the motor - Follow-up

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg Meyer

Reaction score
First, thanks to everybody for the help and comments... (Topic below - Rebuild the Motor)

Next, I am very confident in the shop/dealer's reputation...

Here are the absolute facts...(1) Derfinetly water..a lot of water...in the fuel... (2) The VRO is a "suspect" because there were "other indications" (unspecified)...(3) I "can" ..."get-by" with just doing one cylinder...

I don't want to do just one cylinder (about $550)... If I repair this motor I will have a complete rebuild done...primarily because I will then know what I have and I get a warranty for one year...

The VRO has never been a big benefit to me...I am willing to mix the oil...and OMC sold the motor in 93 with VRO and without (marketed as "Special...88hp and 115hp", identical motors except for no VRO)...

Greg

Greg:

"It only costs a dollar more to go first class."

You have really thought this through! Good luck with your "new" motor!

Mark

Hey Mo Fish... Purely as an aside....It has been my experience that every time I wanted to compare a "first class" airline ticket with an "economy" ticket the difference was a whole lot more than a single dollar!!!!!

But, yeah, I agree...following my grandfather's wise advice..." a poor man can't afford cheap"

Oh, Greg, I wasn't thinking of airline tickets. This line comes up every time a buddy goes to get his preferred bottle of whiskey. (They all taste the same to me. **shudder** )

Mark

Now this is really drifting....See what happens when I let you (this board) distract me from work...

Many years ago, when I first started working as a Deputy Sheriff...I worked a part-time job (times have changed...The Sheriff actually allowed this...he arranged for me to get the job, in fact) in uniform, in my own personal car, i drove around and picked up money from a local "chain" of four liquor stores. I was on their payroll and so I enjoyed their employee perks...all liquor and beer was 1/2 price!!!!! I quickly developed a taste for only the finest (read that as more/most enpensive...but relatively cheap to "us" employees) beer, wine and liquor...I haven't lost that "taste"...just can't for medical reasons drink (no beer, way too many cabohydrates, and only 1-2 "drinks" of anything else a week!!!!, for a German "boy"...hard to adjust to...) But, I do know what your friends are talking about. Really fine bourbon is my "sin"...

Anyway...I will have that 1 or 2 drinks of really "fine" bourbon when I get my boat back....

Greg, you might want to check on a remanufactured powerhead from Blackbird's.

http://1outboard.com/

Compare it to the price of the rebuild, at your shop, along with the warranties that come with each.

I don't know how the water got in the gas but, before it happens again, put a water separator in the fuel line.

Good luck.

Frank

Greg, I noted you are in Elgin Illinois. I had my motor done by a well reccomended retired OMC Mechanic in Southern WIsconsin who now operates out of his home. If you are interested in his name, more info or just looking for a second opinoin drop me an email. I bought My TV 17 with a 60 HP Johnson from a friend:Although it had only 100 Hours or so, Water accidentally caused a powerhead Failure. Mine was rebuilt and I did have a New Updated VRO installed . It was explained to me that the Newest of VRO's pump a constant rate of approx 55 to 1 at all RPM Ranges. I have not had any problem in the year and a half I owned it. It actually runs better than it did new. It was also suggested to me to stay away from Aftermarket Parts including Pistons and not to machine the block more than OMC reccomends. SI have read much about People Blaming the VRO when there could be other problems. The early VRO's did have problems

Latest posts

Back