Question about NX882 performance with 150Merc

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Ritter

Reaction score
I have owned a 2002 Nitro NX882DC wdith a 150hp Mercury Optimax for ten months now. When I first opened it up after break-in I was able to see 65mph on GPS. Now my top end seems to be 60mph. I've had the 100 hour service and the engine runs great. The only change that I have made is the addition of a Stainless Steel "Skeggard" skeg protector to my lower unit. Does anyone have an 882 with a 150 Merc on it? If so what kind of performance do you get? Does anyone think that the Skeggard could cause that much of a change? Thanks,Guys.

Paul--

Are you still getting the same RPM's? Assuming the same RPM's and the same prop then the only difference could be from either the Skeggard and/or more gear on the boat? When I first got my 882 it was a few MPH faster than it is now simply because I have a lot more gear in the storage compartments now than when it was new.

Corey

I probably have added a few pounds, Corey- both in gear and around my waist but I don't think it would amount to more than 20 pounds or so for everything. My RPMs have been in the 5400 range all along- not too much change there. Any idea how fast this rig "should" be going at 5400rpm? The Skeggard does have a small wing on the bottom of it that is perpendicular to the skeg and is about 2 inches wide. Would something that small cause that much drag?

Paul--

I feel your pain about putting the pounds on around the waist!

I have a 115 on my 882 and get 52mph GPS. I do know two people that have the 150XR6 on a 882 and they get 62-64GPS. The 150 XR6 should be a little faster than the 150 Optimax (So I am told) so you are probably right on at 60MPH or so. I have never run a skeggard so I will let others who have take a stab at the performance hit I am sure it would create.

Corey

Paul -

The skeggard is probably the biggest factor.....

More gear/fuel will take away a mph or two.....

Any dings that you may have picked up in the prop are another.....

me!

I have a 2001 NX882 with the XR6 on it. The best speed i have got out of it is 66.5 on my Garmin GPS162. Does yours chine walk. Mine does but you learn how to drive it. Just made a change to the setup of the motor raised it all the way up. Maybe looking into a 8" setback jackplate for it.

Hope you fine out what slowed yours down

Mark

Russ- I have'nt changed the engine height so that's not a factor but I would like to know the proper way to measure propshaft to pad distance. Any tips? The boat came from the dealer with the standard jackplate on the upper of the two holes and the engine on the 2nd hole from the top. It still could work out to 3 inches of pad to propshaft but I'd like to measure it. Do you measure from the bottom of the boat at the back to the center of the propshaft?

Paul,

First you will have to raise the trailer axle slightly, and be on fairly flat ground. Pulling the trailer up on a couple of 2X4's should work as it only needs to be about 2" higher. Being on an inclined drive as long as it's flat is OK too.

Using a carpenters level held on the pad, level the boat surface using the trailer jack.

Next, lower the motor, and using the carpenters level on the cavitation plate, level the motor (the reason for raising the trailer is to let the skeg clear the ground with the motor in the level position).

Now the motor is in the same plane as the pad. Measure the distance from the ground to the pad and from the ground to the center of the shaft or the cavitation plate. The cavitation plate is exactly 8 inches above the prop shaft.

For the 882 the optimum position is the prop shaft 3 inches below the pad (this puts the cavitation plate 5 inches above the pad).

For the 150, the motor should use the lower of the 5 motor mount holes in the lower of the 2 mounting holes in the fatcory set back plate.

This setup has also been confirmed by the Richard at the Nitro test facility.

After a lot of testing with a CMC hydraulic plate and various props (About $1,500), I found the factory position (with 23 Tempest) described above to be the optimum.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!!!!

Russ

Russ, thanks for the how-to on checking my engine height. If what you guys are saying about the engine holes for the XR6 is the same for the Optimax then my engine should be waaaay too low. I'll check it out and let you know what the height is on the Optimax- thanks, Paul

Paul -

Shouldn't make a bit of difference whether you're running an XR6 or an Opti - it's the part that's in the water that counts!

me!

Not so Scott,.....Opti's are heavier and sit lower,...that could mean a different height setting for peak performance.

Mac

Agreed..... But..... Aren't we kinda splitting hairs?

Practically speaking, how much of a weight difference are we talking about? Even if we're talking 50# that's only 5 gallons of fuel! Heck, we'd have to be getting out and adjusting motor height several times a day! Or as we fill the livewells, move tackle around or bring on board different partners.....

What is the weight difference anyway?

me!

According to Mercury Marine's website.....

150 Opti: 431#

150 EFI: 425#

150 XR6: 406#

Hey Scott,

"Heck, we'd have to be getting out and adjusting motor height several times a day!"

That's the advantage of the "Hydraulic" Jack Plate. Isn't it?

Marke

A gallon of gas weighs less than 10 pounds, I think water is 8.313 lbs. and gas has a lighter specific gravity.....That can make a big difference at weigh in time.

Mini

You would think with the way that gas floats on water,..that a full tank would act like a giant cork and help to keep the back of a boat UP!!!...ahaah....

Gasoline weighs 6.1 lbs/gal

Fresh water weighs 8.34 lbs/gal

Sea water weighs 8.57 lbs/gal

Down to 1/100th of a pound!

Why only 1/10ths for gasoline?

Does octane make a difference?

What if the gasoline were leaded?

Mobile says it has more detergents - does that make it lighter or heavier than Exxon?

That Russ sure is anal! :^)

Mac, I'm ALWAYS a bit "off"!

(Sometimes a LOT!)

Marke, children should be seen and not heard!

Scott,

That's only the way the calculations come out converting weight per cubic foot to weight per gallon.

You're right, maybe I should have read your previous post. Sorry to have offended you.

Not sure about octane, but remembering my days as a USMC pilot, we used 6.5 for JP4 and 6 for 145 avgas.

Russ

Russ, please note the "smiley face" after the comment!

No offence even thought of!

But that Marke..... He's another story!

A couple of years ago, we had this joking thing going on about age..... I'm 52 and he's about 30..... I would have thought that by now he would have matured enough to respect his elders! On the other hand..... Maybe it's just me he disrespects!

:^)

me!

Russ,...don't sweat the small stuff,..when we start thinking "offensive and disrespectful" on this board...it' almost ALWAYS involves Rob and Scott!!!...ahahahhaah...

and Scott,..if you reallly want to get under Marke's skin..start calling him "son"....LOL!!!!

LOL!!! Dissin??

Scott, I have nothing but the utmost respect for you and you know that. So I guess I'm wrong. Hydraulic jack plates are not for moving your motor up and down...LOL

Marke

And, Marke, I am proud to have you as a Friend!

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family, son!

me!

Jim I am running a tempest 25 pitch, Prop shaft is 2.750 inches below pad, RPMs at 5600

Latest posts

Back