Question about Minn Kota Maxxum Motors

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Hofman

Reaction score
First, I need to put this question into some context. I just wrapped up my MBA program (will graduate on the 18th), which brings to an end a long, long hiatus from fishing and visiting discussion boards.

Now, my wife is asking me what I'd like as a graduation gift. The whole time I've been in school, I've been thinking that what I'd really like is a good 1911-style semiautomatic pistol.

But more recently I've been looking at my dust-covered boat, and find myself thinking that this would be a good opportunity to upgrade from the stock 12-volt Motorguide (52 lb thrust, 5-speed, 42" shaft) to a 24-volt Motorguide Maxxum, in the 70 to 80 lb. thrust range, with variable speed control and a longer shaft.

I know this question has been asked a dozen times, but I want to ask it specific to my boat: 2001 Tournament V18. Will the mounting holes on a new Minn Kota Maxxum line up with the holes made by a 10-year-old Motorguide?

I recall that when I switched from a MG to a MK Power drive the holes did not match up... But, your mileage may vary...

Congrats on the MBA finish... Feel much smarter now?

The holes did not line up for me. Fill and drill em.

On scissor mount MK to MG you should have at least four mounting holes line up between the brand footprints. With non-scissor types like the MK Power Drive or MG Wireless, I can only guarantee one hole will line up. :D Good luck and congratulations on the degree! :)

P.S. - Taurus came out with a sweet 1911 with a bunch of options standard (beaver tail, Heinie sights, skeletonized hammer/trigger, etc.) at a great price point. I picked up one last year for under $700 in SS. ;)

And we're wondering....how's the baby and Daddy life treating you???

Any suggestions on how to fill in a hole in aluminum? Would you use plastic plugs or try something else?

Greg, I don't feel any smarter. The last 26 months taught me that I don't know a whole lot, and there are a bunch of people in the world who are much smarter than me. Don't get me wrong, I did well grade-wise and will be one of the commencement speakers, but...man, some of the stuff people can figure out and do with that knowledge is just amazing. Those are some smart people. Just like a lot of the folks here.

Dan, the baby and fatherhood is just awesome. He turns 18 months next week, is walking and has an ever growing head of hair along with a growing vocabulary. I've thought about changing my first name from Mark to Chase. Because it seems like that's pretty much what I do with him. And he is such a well-behaved boy. Eats what we give him (isn't picky), puts his own dirty clothes in the laundry, wants to help unload the dishwasher, listens during church and doesn't scream out....what more could we ask for?

Now that school is over, I'm looking forward to getting more daddy time, along with more sleep. Four hours a night just doesn't cut it.

Great news from the home front Mo! ( "Chase" :lol::lol::lol: )

Before you do any drilling, you'll note on many models of MK there are trim panels along the sides of the base. They can easily be removed with a phillips screwdriver. When you do you'll notice many more mounting holes to match your existing footprint. The only units I've found that will not match more than one hole are the old OMC/Johnson/Evinrude motors and even older Shakespeare and other older and out of circulation units. Many folk aren't aware of the extra mount holes in many MK's until it's too late. Good luck and God Bless! ;)

Latest posts

Back