prop question

• Thread starter klayton amspacher
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a 2005 nitro 700 lx with a 90hp carb. Motor. I have a 19 pitch prop now. At 5700 rpm it runs about 45 mph. I have not pushed it much past that point. I think it would rev higher but I'm not sure what redline is for this motor. Should I get a higher pitch prop. What should I get for a max speed. I usually fish alone. And I don't haul a lot of gear. Thanks for the help.

#1 Download the manual for your motor from Mercury. You need to know your WOT RPM and general maintenance schedule.

#2 I cant help you with the rest as I have never owned an outboard or boat in that class.

The mercury said redline is 5000-5500. I would say 5500 sound rite. How much rpm loss would I have with a 21 and a 23 pitch. Also how much mph would I gain with each?

You will lose approx 200rpm with each gain in pitch.

i have the same exact boat, 2005 700lx sc with a 2008 90 hp carbuerated merc. my boat will run 47 mph on the gps at 5500rpm with just me in it and a normal fuel load (1/2-3/4 tank)

it came stock with a 12.75 x 21 prop. you may gain a little top end with a ss prop.

I hope that helps you out ,let me know

It sounds like the 21 pitch might be the one I need. Any ideas where to get one at the best price. I want to stay with aluminium. I like the holeshot with the 19 but I don't like to beat my motor. I want it to last. Thanks for all the help guys.

Latest posts

Back