Problem with Mercury Optimax

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wayne Riley2

Reaction score
I have a 2000 200 HP Mercury Optimax and just had a new powerhead installed. The powerhead is for a 225 HP Optimax and had the PCU upgraded to a 225 HP. The problem I am having is with a cold start. The engine keeps stalling and need to restart it several times before it runs. Once the engine is warmed up, it starts perfectly first turn of the key. Computer scan of the engine shows no error codes, and a check of the fuel/air pressure into the fuel rails shows no problems. Any ideas what is causing my problem?

Thanks,

Wayne Riley

TPI sensor is my first guess. Have the tech pull the TPI and visually check for a proper match to a 225 head. The TPI sensor would generally show on a DDT scan, but with your mods it may not be registering, problematic or not. Worth a try. Good luck! ;)

Had the same problem a couple years ago on a new ProXS 225. It ended up being a thermostat stuck open (the engine would not reach operating temp at idle) and would die when you put it in gear. Just a thought as well, check your battery terminal connections. Intermitent low voltage can cause some pretty weird problems as well.

Wayne have you talked To Lorne S at OBW ? Some people dont like the place but he is the only one I trust with my motor .

Ps I owe you a thanks . The lad you had out for the pro-am bought a whole wack of stuff that you suggested .

John

Oziles

Took the boat out today for a prefish and could not get more then 2000 RPM out of it. Left the boat at another merc certified repair shop. Will let you know what they find!

Latest posts

Back