Power Trim Problem

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Droke

Reaction score
Ok guys I was out running the 170DC today and noticed towards the end of the day a trim issue. I do not have a trim guage so I trim until I hit the sweet spot. I can hear when I'm trimmmed up too far and the motor is "sucking air" so to speak. I noticed that I could not get it to trim up until I hear the usual sound that tells me Im trimed to high.

I use the Lock and Stow on the motor when trailering so when my motor turned to one side on the drive home I knew something was strange. After getting home I saw the Lock and Stow was swinging free instead of with the motor trimmed down on it. I pulled up on the motor by hand and can lift it with little problem. The electric motor portion of the trim unit is working but when you hit the trim switch it takes a while for the motor to start moving up or down. Where should I start my search? Im guessing that the hydraulic portion has some kind of internal leakage allowing me to pull it up by hand. Second question is does anyone overhaul these units or should I just replace it all? Thanks in advance for the help.

Like above reply, it sounds like you may have air in the system that can only be there by displacing necessary hydraulic oil. Check level, refill, try, then check for leaks. Hopefully it is just a dry rotted o-ring on the base cap which is easily remedied. If not, it very well may not be leaking, but bypassing internally which will need the pump rebuilt. Good luck! ;)

I will check the oil level and o ring on the cap. If it does need a rebuild i have searched the web for a kit and they show no longer avialable. You guys have a particular business or individual you recommend to do that kind of repair if necessary? What is the correct procedure to fill and bleed the system? What is the correct fluid for the system? Sorry for all the questions, just not any reputable marine repair places close to me. Thanks

Latest posts

Back