Pitmasters, Grillers and Smokers

• Thread starter Greg Meyer [URL]http://www.nakedwhiz.com/nwindex.h
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg Meyer

Reaction score
Had some more info to share so I thought I would open up a new message... Has to be more of us "grillers and smokers" than me and Greg Walters...

Below is a link to a site that does a great job of reviewing and testing lump and natural charcoal. Folks not all charcoal is created equal and the briquettes are bad for your grill and smioker and for you...

Post recipes, tips opr info here for others to reap... :)
http://www.nakedwhiz.com/nwindex.htm

Greg,

I have seen that site before. Around my parts the cowboy brand is by far the easiest to come by for lump. My persoanl fav that i use a lot is quik joe brand natural lump. The only place i can get it is my local true value, i use it enough that i have him special order me 20# bags and i get 6 of them at a time so i know i have enough. I like it better than the cowboy because it burns longer and has a little better smoke flavor that comes from it. If im in a pinch and cant get it i use the cowboy because its easy to get at Lowes or HD.

Here is one for you Greg, its one for smoked meatloaf i got from a cookbook with my own modifications added to it. This is something i get requests for whenever there is a cookout happening. Its really that good. The link at the bottom is a PDF i put together detailing what needs to be done.

I made 9 of these plues 2 8# briskets and 20# of babybacks on two smokers labor day weekend. Here are some pics of the carnage. There was not one piece of any of it leftover.

IMG_0124.JPG

IMG_0125.JPG

http://www.nitroowners.com/~library/3844/meatloaf.pdf

Thanks for the meatloaf recipe. I haven't been smoking long enough to be a master, but people sure like to eat it!! I use hickory in my smoker. I am going to try and substitute some oak for a heat source as well. I have found that cherry gives a nice flavor as well.

Jim,

Thanks, I will give that a try this Sunday. I was looking for something different and the family loves meatloaf...

BTW, looks like you have a Char-Griller smoker... Same as mine, if it is... Are those "upside down" thermometers on the right side. I added two more thermometers 4" in and up from the front edge of the lid on each end. I am experimenting with a steel "baffle" on the right side to help even out the heat from the side fire box. I added a second grate in the side box so I could put a taller fire basket in and I ground down the edges of the ash tray to make it easier to dump... I have bigger pneumatic tires to add as soon as I make up a longer axle.. And, on and on... I also want to add some piping to the exhaust stack inside to pull from farther down in the chamber...

Greg,

That is a char griller smoker, actually both of them are. ONe is mine the other belongs to a buddy of mine. Those theremomters are ones i got at lowes they have a magnet on the bottom so they stick to the grate. I move them all over the place and i normally have on on the left and one on the right because as im sure you know there can be a big difference in temp from one side to the other. The only things i did to the fire box was i changed the grate to a much heavier duty one that i made from 1/4" steel bar( i have access to a welder) and i also put in a rest for the inside of the drawer. Mine had a tendancy to drop on that side when it got hot and then it would open up a big gap where the drwaer goes in on the right side and it let a ton of air in. I made a support to hold it up so that doesnt happen anymore and i makes it so the damper is the only way air gets in.

Let me know what you think of the meatloaf. Everyone in my family loves it, and it gets requested whenever the smoker is lit.