Patriot 929 225 Opti vs. EFI

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael O

Reaction score
O.K. guys and gals, I'm getting rid of my 901 cdx and ordering the new Patriot 929 on Tuesday. I've read all of the previous posts about the Opti vs. EFI and need a little more encouragement to spend the extra $2,300 on the Opti.( actually have to convince the wife ) I am aware of the promotion that Mercury is running now until 15 April on the Opti, which is 5 years of protection at no cost. I have been leaning toward the Opti but my dealer is trying to talk me out of it, saying that I would be just paying for research and developement and the differance is minimal. I have been a member of this board for over a year and have gotten tons of great info and many laughs. Even though I rarely post, I read it every day.

Mike, I have a 2000 nitro 901 with a 200 Optimax, and I love the Optimax. I really wrestled with the same question as you are, mostly because of the price. Now, after owning an Opti, I would buy the Optimax again. It runs great, runs clean, and it definitely runs efficiently on fuel for large motor. You won't regret it.

Hey Mike, I meant to ask and forgot. Just curiosity, why are you getting rid of the 901? For the most part, I'm quite happy with my 901. Just upsizing maybe ? or something about the 901?

Nitro, just upsizing, LOVE my 901, it has been a great boat.

Mike,

Not sure if you should go with the Opti or not. Here in California we have no choice when buying new, Yama HDPI(?)/Merc Optimax/Evinrude Ficht or 4 stroke. And you know where California goes the rest of ya all are sure to follow! So the Optimax may make it easier to resell later if you have to or want to.

As far as research and developement, I think Merc has done enough of that and now produce +99% good motors, and thats about as good as major car manufacturers are with their stuff....but those manufacturers give you at least 3-5 years powertrain warranty so it's good Merc should give you the same.

I got the extended 5 year plan on my 2001 Opti 135 last March but haven't had to occation to use it yet.

In the end you have to go with whatever will make you happy, Either one will get you to the fish every time.....

Just my .02

Tom

Hey Brother-in-law,

You'll love the opti max. You'll also love that 929 Patriot. (SWEET) Just send the wife my way and I'll talk her right into it. Or, just blame me so she's mad at me, gets you out of the dog house. Oh, Ya !! The boat I ordered I got their pro-financing. No, payments due till one year from date of pick-up. If I sell the boat by then I just get another new boat.

Go with the OPTI !!!! With a 5 year warranty and a cut in fuel consumption by almost 1/2,....why even consider anything else!! I've run EFI's and Opti's and there's a world of difference! The EFI's are smooth and fast,...but they're gas guzzlers compared to the Opti., and with a 929,...you want an Opti!

Just my .02

Mac

Thanks guys, that is all the encouragement I need..Opti it is, ordering tomorrow.....

Latest posts

Back