overheat alarm

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chuck Ambrose

Reaction score
I have a 2009 Mercury 30 four stroke on my 15 foot aluminum boat. Lately everytime I first start the motor I travel a short distance and then the alarm goes off. I shut it down and check to see if anything is on the screen and then start it back up and it runs fine the rest of the day. Should I be concerned and has anyone had the same experience?

Thanks.

We have had a couple of issues with this series of engine. First, I am going to assume that the alarm is due to an overheat, {easily diagnosed with the CDS}. Tell the Tech they must repeat the problem as it occurs, or the history will be lost and there will be no codes.

I would replace the impeller and thermostat as standard operating procedure. When the lower unit is off, a close inspection of the water tube {for kinks or crushing} and the powerhead grommett at the top of the water tube is in fact in place and not obstructing water flow. If it is "out-of-place", it must be removed and a new one installed. ;)

Bob,

Thanks for the advice. Not being very mechanical is this something that can wait until I get the motor winterized or is this something that should be done right away.

I would have it done straight away. If it is overheating, you could cause damage. ;)

Back