Other Sissy techniques that work.

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Jordan

Reaction score
I often throw a 4" inch Zoom Dead ringer on a 1/16 to 1/4 oz slider cone shaped hook. I mostly use the 1/8 oz. I load it up w/ smelly jelly. Colors are simple. Smoke, Purple passion ( watermellon/light purple laminate) watermellon, Junebug, and Red shad.

I use this in grass, laydowns, docks and rock piles. Except for Grass, I target some well defined structure. I grass I will swim the bait or target the edges.

I will also substitute a 4" lizard if I believe that others in my club are fishing the same area w/ this ringworm. It's a great technique to pick apart a structure once you have locatedd active bass. I mainly use spinning gear and cast this thing out, wait, shake wait, hop 3 times them back to the boat. Also Gold Pumkin is a great New england spring color. $" ring worms are also good on C-Rigs when the bite is tough. Using this small finesse technique can put a limit in the boat in a hurry. I'll then switch to a 6 or 7" zoom dead ringer or Bass pro ring worm to search for kicker fish.

Small spinnerbaits. I like to use the small 3/16 or 1/8 oz Strike king premier model or pro model spinnerbaits. I like white shad or Chartuse. I cut the skirt back to the round part of the hook. I wrap solder around the hook to give the bait some wiegth so it will run true. I like the willow leaf models. This will generate strikes in our ultra clear waters in NH. I like to throw this size when it sunny and pick a silver willow leaf blade. If it cloudy, I'll move up in size. This is a limit type bait. I use this to get a limit and then depending on the bite, I'll go to a larger bait. This is a good technique to use when everyone is throwing spinnerbaits. Try this size if your following other boats using bigger baits.

Just some ideas to get this thread going. Jump in. It does not matter if it's finesse or Bubba fishing. I'm looking for new techniques to try next year.

Take a tube bait, stuff it with a floating jig head and work it on top of shallow weeds or through branches. Erratic little jerks and hops.

Rich D

Pull out the Rooster Tails! I prefer gray and brown is a very close second. Just about any weight will do - the smaller the better.

me!

Can't forget the slider worms, straight tail with the Slider head. Those things just seem to catch summertime fish all day long....not always big ones but it has saved the day on several occasions. (All this talk reminds me...I hate Winter!)

Corey

Sissy?

If it works, it ain't sissy!! My ULTIMATE go to when NOTHING else works is a KALIN'S 3 inch salt and pepper smoke grub, on a 1/16 oz lead head jig. I'm giving up one of my all time secrets here. NEVER and I mean never has this failed to produce. Fishies that I have caught on this simple rig (got a bag of 100 in the boat)- blugill, crappie, perch, bass, catfish, shad (ok, so I snagged him), smallmouth, warmouth, shellcrackers, rock bass, walleye, northern, and more that I am sure I am forgetting. I have a 5 ft. G-Loomis with a Cabela's reel rigged with my "SISSY" bait at all times LOL. Caught more fish than any other bait in the box!! Couldn't find them in stock so I e-mailed the co. and got a reply from Al Kalin himself. They aren't even a sponsor of mine (but I'm gonna work on em'!!).

TOXIC

I like the 3" smoke copper for smallmouths. 1/16 to 1/8 oz depending on wind. When the bite is really tough I goto the 4" senko's

Zoom fat albert grubs in green pumpkin with bang garlic on 1/8 oz stand up head.

Zoom fat albert grubs in green pumpkin with bang garlic on 1/8 oz stand up head....because that's what Rob taught me :eek:)

Zoom fat albert grubs in green pumpkin with bang garlic on 1/8 oz stand up head because that's what Rob and Marke taught me. My daughter likes the chartruse!

Bob G.

Let's not forget my brother's all so secret lure, th sassy shad, on an 1/8th oz. leadhead1 Catches anything that swims no matter where you are!

Tim

My son smokes me everytime with a 1/8 oz Blakemore Road Runner bubble belly chart. pepper shad.

Harpo

Make no mistake, the grub is no sissy bait. It regularly pulls toads in excess of 4lbs! It is just the best "go to" bait on Champlain from May to October.

I'll also go with the small grub routine. That 3" Kalins can work wonders somedays just slowly dragged along. The bait I really like though is a Lunker City Grub in 2 1/2" Alewife color. Rigged on a 1/16 oz ballhead, the little "kicking" tail just calls in fish from all over and of every specie.

Grubs rule!! I've gotta admit, I fall back on them sometimes a little too quick. The reason I like the KALIN'S is that they fade very slowly and they wear like nails. I've caught 25 to 30 smallies on the same grub. From what I understand, they are also great for icefishing, they don't get hard and keep their action. I wouldn't know cause the closest your goint to get me to ice fishing is watching it on TV.

TOXIC

That is one drawback to the Zoom products. 4-5 good fish and they're toast, sometimes less. Couldn't tell you on ice fishing. I only go for perch and that's 2-3 times a year max when someone cons me into it with a heated shanty and beer. Of course after football season and once the snow gets too deep to run the dog.

I'd gladly give up one soft plastic for every fish! Every day, all day.

If you don't like the durability of Zoom, I'm guessing that you won't even touch a Senko. Of course, I've only got two packs of Senko's, and they fall apart looking at them some time.

I use them, but cuss them out when I'm on big fish and they tear up my last one half way thru the day. In the 'start I made sure I had packs and packs of the one they were hitting! I tore some up just getting them into and out of the chesnuts, just kept putting fresh ones on. I have never spent $75 on one kind of plastic bait at one time before.

Latest posts

Back