Ordered My Goodyear Marathons...

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larry Harp

Reaction score
Checked around for a new set of Goodyears Marathon tires for the boat trailer. The Goodyear store wanted $80.00+balance $9.99, Tire Rack was $50.00 +$16.44 for shipping,Wal-Mart was $58.73. That makes Wal-Mart a little over a buck higher than Tire Rack for the pair and I don't have to mess with having them shipped in. Wal-Mart will mount and balance them with a lifetime road hazard warranty for $7.50 each...I don't guess that two trailer tires will ever need to be rotated.

Now it's confession time....I'm embarassed to admit that I've been running all this time without a spare:wacko:. Yeah Yeah....I know that's pretty stupid but I've got good karma. Anyway now that I'm getting the new tires don't you think it would be a good idea to buy a used wheel and have one of the old tires mounted on it before I run out of karma? Question is; I know it's a 13' five bolt wheel but is there any special bolt pattern or spacing or anything else that I have to be concerned with?:unsure:

Harpo

Be careful... It's illegal to run a trailer in some states without a spare....

I ordered "load range C" which is what came on it. Tire Rack didn't state what load range their tire were.

Greg...evidentally it isn't illegal to sell a trailer without a spare.;) I'm going to get one soon.

Harpo

Correction....I went back to the Tire Rack website to double check what I said about the load range. I was incorrect, the "load range C" is priced @ $53....it the "load range B" that is $50.

On my last trailer I did just what you want to do Harpo. I bought two new tires and used one of the old ones for a spare. A year later, a long way from home with the Chesapeake Bay Bridge to cross yet, one of the newer tires delaminated. All of the tread gone and just steel showing. After cussing for a bit I changed the tire and put the old one on. Well, I got about five miles before the old tire had a blowout. I wasn't near anything that would help me out.

Sooooo, I put the delaminated tire back on and drove home at about 25 mph with every ocean beach goer blowing his darn horn at me. I went about 30 miles that way.

Anyway what should you do? I had a one year old tire go bad and an old tire go bad. Personally I think the newer tire going bad was an anomaly. When I had to buy tires for this boat I bought three brand new ones. I fully intend to rotate them. Yea, right.:)

I've also run without a spare this whole time too. I should get one :blink:

I rotate my tires at the beginning of each season so they wear evenly, it's good practice

I just saw in my most recent AutoWeek magazine that the Tire Rack has ALL Marathons on sale right now....

az

I ran my Tracker without a spare as well, not sure if it's illegal, but I agree with Harpo, it should be sold with a spare if that's the requirement.

I have a spare for my Ranger Trailer, but good thing I never needed it becuase when I serviced my bearings I was not able to fit the standard lug nut wrench in the mag wheels, I had no idea so I would have been stuck on the road anyway.

Harpo, have you looked at BPS for the Spare tire with rim and all?

CJL

My TV-18 did not come with one.....

I just bought an el-cheapo wheel from Discount Tire and put one of the 'original' bias tires on it when I put the new radials on the trailer....

az

My Tracker PT175 did not come with a spare either (surprise suprise!). I know that in the state of Virginia, for my particular trailer set up, a spare is not required. Regardless, I went to BPS and picked up a white painted wheel with a new radial tire pre-mounted for less than $100 (Tracker dealer wanted $125 or so for a galvanized matching wheel and tire). MY BPS special doesn't quite match the galvanized wheels on the trailer, but I will hardly be chosey if (or is that when?) I get a flat on the tracker tires, which are going on three years so far without incident (knock wood!).

JC

I got a matching spare tire and rim for mine when I bought my boat and rotate them every year.

Gene

If there is one way to ruin your karma, its buying new tires for your trailer. Yeah, thats right....nothing but blow outs from here on out, for you buddy.

Go down to the the bass pro and get a tire/rim combo for a hundred bucks or so, to use for your spare. It will probably be cheaper and easier than finding a rim and then buying a tire.

Buy the way, last year on the way home from lake fork I stopped and bought two new sets of tires for my trailer. Now I have five rims and only require three. I had the two extra rims sand blasted and painted so if anyone is interested I could probably work something out if the shipping is not too much.

Wolf :D

Yeah, but Donald you were running car tires on your boat trailer. How's it doing since you got the trailer tires?

Right now I'm trying do everything on the cheap. I'm literally bleeding money this month...$700 to overhaul the brakes and master cylinder on my son's car, $1700 to the GDIRS, found termites in a post on the front porch so I'm probably looking at $1200+ for termite treatment:eek: Just spending the buck and a half for the tires seems like a major extravagance but the way the old bias plys are cupped I don't feel comfortable getting out on the interstate so I can't fish anywhere except our local lake which isn't my favorite.

Harpo

Only $1700 to the IRS???? I wish!!!! I just finished my taxes this morning,,,,,,over $7k to the Feds and $2300 to the great state of VT!!!! I expect a freakin Xmas card from them this year!!

Oh yea....I have bad karma so I bought the matching spare for my trailer when I ordered my boat. Never needed it yet......but would have if I didn't have it.

Bob G.

Latest posts

Back