Opinions on a Lowrance iFinder H2O Handheld

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Allen

Reaction score
All,

I have a chance to pick up a Lowrance iFinder H2O GPS. It's a couple of years old, but barely used. I've done a little checking on prices, but need some real world opinions from someone who has used one. My goal is to set waypoints for honeyholes, maybe some mapping of bodies of water I'm fishing and for auto travel routes, etc... What do you think of this model's capabilities for that use? Thanks!

Scott

Perfect. I used to have the original iFinder. I wore it around my neck on the boat and used it for bed fishing. Just connect the dots!

it will not give you turnby turn directions for on road use (unless they updated the software).

All in all a good little unit.

Ditto Mini. I use an I-finder H20c on my electric jon in a ram mount and have taken it to Lac Seul up in Canada for several years where it handles every demand I make on a full size GPS. (I used a Global Map 100 for almost a decade before the H20.) I mark my holes, leave a popcorn trail when exploring, zoom ahead on the map from the SD card, find contour breaks, among other uses. (speed, clock, etc.) I've had it a few years now, so there may be better ones available, but I don't know of any I've seen that are as good or better, specifically considering cost. Good luck! ;)

I haven't used that model, but for a number of years I used a Garmin Handheld with basic maps for the same thing. Biggest thing is to use your imagination in learning how to mark and use it.

Tex

Thanks Guys! Good enough for me. The guy is asking about twice as much as the average on ebay, so if he won't come down, I'll go there. Did you purchase the plus package with the units you bought? (MAPCreate, cig lighter cord, SD card, etc..) If so, what do they sell for?

Scott

Excellent little units. I still use 2 in my boat to this day and will be for my upcoming 3 tourneys (all sight fishing) in June.

I have a H2OC on a RAM mount at the console and another on a RAM mount up front. I like having them seperate from my graphs in the event I lose a unit. If the GPS goes out, I still have the graph and another GPS in the back and vice versa.

The H2OC has a Hot Spots chip. The detail is awesome. The screens are obviously a little small but as long as you have decent vision, they work.

I use the one on my bow for marking beds and they are accurate to within 3 ft. If you can't find what you're looking for within 3 ft.....take up golf!

They do go through batteries pretty quick so plug it in when you can. If you have to use batteries, use Duracell.

GPS units are not accurate to within 3 feet. You can only get the non-military satellites and 3' of accuracy is simply not achieveable. Here is the information on the iFinder H20:

The Lowrance iFINDER H2O finds your location by using its precision 12-parallel channel GPS + WAAS receiver. Assisted by the U.S. Wide Area Augmentation System (WAAS), the iFINDER is accurate to within 3 meters or better.

And let's remember, that's plus or minus 3 meters. It is also very dependent upon how many satellites it can find and lock in.

Tex

I have used the iFinder H2O on my boat in a Ram mount for a few years before I upgraded. I still use one for hunting.

My,Ifinder H2oc worked great for about 2 years,now it wont lock up to the satelites,and is very expensive to send off and fix,I bought a lawrance dash model.

BTW, my early model handheld Garmin, came with the ability to get lake data (not HotMaps, but still good for navigation) and a program that allowed me to view the maps in detail on my desktop unit; plan routes and mark spots. I could then download them to my handheld. It was great when going to a lake that I really didn't know for navigation purposes. I could zoom in and find the islands; low points; 'bars'; navigation hazards, etc and plan my routes from different points on the map. I came up with a lake-by-lake naming convetion and also tied it to my printed maps.

Just part of what many should be doing with their GPS units rather than simply marking points.

Tex

Latest posts

Back