Once again, boat prices

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich Stern

Reaction score
No, not in the market for a new one. But my neice was selling magazine subscriptions for her school, so I got a subscription to Trailer Boats.

As you would expect, flipping through my first issue...sticker shock!

A 26 foot Key West center console with 300HP Suzuki four stroke. Decent quality boat, high tech/new generation motor, so high price to be expect but...$91,000! Holy guacamole! Boat was $58K, and motor plus electronics was the balance.

How big an audience can there possibly be for a middle-of-the-road quality, production 26 footer at about six figures once sales tax is figured in?

Unfortunately, there are several folks out there that have more money than common sense. They will be the target audience. You've seen them on the water before - they are the ones that don't know what side to pass you on, or what side to stay on when coming at you head to head, or what side of the channel markers they are supposed to be on, etc.... They are also the ones that spend an hour at the ramp launching or loading the boat onto the trailer (with three buddies in the water up to their neck trying to "position" the boat onto the trailer). :lol:

You are absolutely right though - boat prices have been rediculous for years, and are now hitting the "ludicrous" stage. :lol::lol::lol:

All the best,

Glenn

What gets me is after they buy a boat like that, they complain about $3.00 gasoline.:wacko:

Rich - I love Trailer Boats, been getting it for years through my kids school. Lets me see the pleasure and other boats besides bass boats.

It amazes me the prices we are seeing in Bass, Bay and pleasure boats. The sad part is i'll bet a Large number of buyers are upside in the loan out the door day 1, only use the boat maybe 6 times a year and then end up selling it for a huge loss in the first 2-3 years. Good news for us who like buying a used boat, someone has to take the depreciation!!

Just think, since 50%+ of americans do NOT pay their credit cards off each month, there must be a HUGE market for folks who are dumb enough to just say "if you can get the payments to $XXX/month, i'll take it!!!"

Trep

Sales are off big time..I can't see how they can keep them up..I wish I had not of gotten a new boat....Gonna take a big loss or let It set...Auto sales are off also.....

Everything...cars,boats,houses...everything! BUT....my wages sure haven't increased!:angry:

During the last 2 road trips that Mini and I took for BPS, we saw a new Z series Nitro 929 in San Antonio and I priced out a 901 from their website. The overall quality of the Nitro Z's is VERY MUCH improved over years' past....but they are just as expensive as a Ranger, Triton, Stratos or any other tour level boat!!

The 929 with a 225 XS was $53,000 + tax/prep/delivery!!

The 901 with a 200 Verado and a handful of options,....came in at $43,900!!

Sorry fans,....but Nitro's are now priced in line with EVERYBODY else!! :eek::wacko:

Mac

There's a gonna be an opportunity in the boat market to sell a first class boat as a decent price and put everyone out of business. But the problem is anglers, everyone will bash the lower priced boats.

Not necessarily Billy,.......the overall quality of that Z that we looked at in TX was VERY much improved....the fit and finish and the wiring were all nicely wrapped and secured. The console was rock solid and all of the "little things" that always haunted us were not present in that boat. Time will tell....but if they're going to compete with other company's and charge those kind of prices,..then the sustained quality and CS has to be up there too.....for a long time!! It'll take years to change their reputation, but it can be done.

Regardless,.....$53,000 is a too much money for a bass boat and I don't care WHO makes it!!

That same money will buy a BIG family style cruiser with a cabin, galley AND "throne"..LOL

Nice job on the Z boats Nitro,....keep it up!!

Mac

I have the same question when I see the prices of all the new Rangers, Tritons, Skeeters, AND Nitros that I do when I drive through a neighborhood and see street after street of half a million to million dollar houses....who the hell can afford all this, and how???:unsure: My wife and I make decent money...certainly more than I would have ever dreamed of 30 years ago but I could no more afford to go out and buy a +$50,000 bass boat than I could fly to the moon. I'm sure the bank would give me a 10year loan but, no thanks. I realize there are some guys out there making money with their bass boats but no that many. How do they do it???

Harpo

Harpo i think you nailed it

I know people that have taken out 15 and 20 year loans on bass boats to keep the payments reasonable. Personally i think thats crazy, these are guys not sponsored or on a team and pay what we would pay. Then they sell it after 4 years and get a new one, they must be taking a serious hit. It will take forever to not be flipped over on it on a 10+ year loan.

At todays prices i cant afford a brand new bass boat. Like my current Nitro it will have to be a used one. although its not goign to be any time soon. My 882 will be paid for really soon(next month i plan to pay it off) and i plan on keeping it for a while, payment free will be a nice thing.

It makes you wonder on houses too. i wonder just how many people who own these super expensive houses took out interest only loans to be able to afford such a place?

Harpo - Jim is right, forget the "10year loan " thats what they use for a $10k boat, they'll push it 20 years or more to "get the payments" down to what you can afford.

I agree with Mac, WAY too much $$ on any of these newer 20ft+ boats and the motors. Either A) the profit margins are huge for the manufacturer like on SUV's where they don't need to sell near as many as the entry/mid level boats or B) some boat manufacturers are going to be in a financial HURT with these prices!!

Love my '99 Nitro, plan a party when she hits 10 years in 3 years!!!

Trep

Come to the NC coast and you will be AMAZED at the number of new boats in the water. They are everywhere. Surprisingly, there aren't that many quality used boats on the market in the 24'-28' range. A fishing buddy of mine just bought a new 24' center console and his reasoning on buying new vs. used is the warranty on the hull and the motors? He spent nearly $80,000.

Bryan

A fishing buddy of mine just bought a new 24' center console and his reasoning on buying new vs. used is the warranty on the hull and the motors? He spent nearly $80,000.

[sharp intake of breath, clutches chest, falls to floor...]

OK, I'm better now.

Must have been the fumes from that fresh-from-the-mold $80,000 24' hull.

You guys are used to paying for Trackers and Nitro,s....You have to step up when you go to the better boats,,,Dig a little deeper...Pay to play...That kinda stuff

Sounds like someone has mealworm syndrome...that kinda stuff

I am in the market next year and thinking that spending $40K is not out of the question. Now I can get a "factory deal" if I want......do the work, spend the time.....I dont have enough time now though.

So instead of a "deal" on a new boat, I am looking used. Still plan on spending $40K.....but I hope to have TWO vessels. Looking at a 30 foot Carver Santego w/twin Crusaders (the old schoolers here will remember I used to work for Crusader) and a 20 foot BassCat w/250 HPDI.

I can get 4 times the amount of enjoyment out of the same outlay in cash. And have a "cottage" on the lake.....that moves :)

Mini

Mini, I didn't know you once worked for Crusader. I had a pair (5.7s) in a Carver. Good motors. I'm trying to remember what the Santego model looks like. Modern looking sedan bridge with a single forward cabin?

Latest posts

Back