NTOWS is seeking sponsors

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich Stern

Reaction score
I need the help of the members.

As many of you know, we ran out of database space today. While the technical snafu is easily corrected, the larger problem is the cost of the correction. I have to buy more database capacity, which involves an increased monthly expenditure for the server. No fun.

I've always wanted this site to be free for members, and hope to continue to have it be that way. My model for the Sport Trac Web Site has been to find quality sponsors who want to be part of a community with their customers. It's worked very well for that site. Collectively, the sponsors of that site ring up tens of thousands of dollars in sales per month to the members, in exchange for small sponsorship dollars. Big bang for the buck, plus lots of goodwill, so to speak. As a result, the members enjoy the site for free. I encourage them to support the sponsors with their business, as a way to support the site.

I'm going to try to duplicate that model here. I am calling on members to carry the message to potential sponsors:

For $50/month, an NTOWS sponsor will receive:

- An equal share of banner ad space, i.e., if we have 5 sponsors, each will get 20% of the total banner impressions.

- A dedicated sponsor page with their logo and marketing info.

- Sponsor posting privelages (sponsor tag shows up next to their post, linked to their sponsor page).

- Ability to feature up to 5 items in our upcoming product directory.

- Ability to run group buys.

So, I need you guys and gals to carry the message to potential sponsors. For not a lot of money, a sponsor will get a high quality, visible presence here on NTOWS.

Some of you may worry that with commercialization, the site may change for the worse. I think you'll find the opposite is true. My experience, having done this for a couple of years, is that I can deliver value to sponsors without hurting the member experience or sacrificing editorial independence. Actually, in many ways, the member experience gets better because good companies participate and become part of the this "electronic community." It works well for all involved. And there won't be any popups or garish, flashing, psychadelic ads. I promise.

If you think you know a potential sponsor, have them email me at [email protected], or send me their contact info.

I appreciate any help you care to lend!

Rich,

Cruise over to www.lake-link.com It's not the same, but an interesting site catering to fishermen. You won't exactly be competitors but there are a couple of features that may be applicable... There is a listing of guides and other "sponsors"... Anyway, good luck and if I see/or think of something possible you can bet I'll pursue it for you.

Give me a mailing address, I'll send a check to help to keep the website running. No ad, just a helping hand.

I'll talk to my dealer and see if they might be interested. They are the largest Nitro/Tracker dealer in the general area, other than BPS. They also do hunting/fishing quite a bit.

I'll let you know.

Send me your snail mail address and I'll chip in a few bucks as well

We all knew as the site grew this day would inevitably come, but Rich once again, you're handling it terrificly. I will do my best to spread the word. If at some point memebers need to pitch in, that's fine. This is one site I wouldn't mind supporting. Rich, I'm no techy but did the max out occur because the site holds all the posts going back to it's origin? Really, is that necessary to keep. I would think that a year would be adequate. Just a thought, that may not even be the case. I'm just thinking of storage space in physical terms. Cyber is likely different.

Rich,

I'll get with you next week after I return from Camp Neeley.

Rich,

I will contact a few guides I know, if they show any interest,( one listed on Lake-Link)I'll put them in touch with you or get you their email/phone.

Also willing to chip in if member donations called for too.

Ah....Rob....HELLO!!! "Spread the word"? Send Rich $50 and have "North Country Tours" plasterd on the home page..

Most of us here know your a guide on Champlain but to the casual web browser that passes through may not know that.

Heck, I'll send Rich the $50 for you in exchange for one FREE weekend per year. Deal?

Marke

Rich, send me your address, I'll drop a little something in the mail. My way of saying thanks for a great site..

Buzz

Rich,

Same here. I would definitely contribute to keep this site running!

Rich D

You'll send $50 a month for me Marke for one trip a year???? You're on! I'm thinking about it. Although I love this site, it hasn't generated any business for me other than Jim coming bird hunting in a few weeks. I will do the best I can to help Rich, but have to watch closely how I spend my funds this season, and $50 a month can help keep a web page up and running that's linked to several others, or pay for my add in a magazine. I'll wear my NTOWS tourney shirt at the starts this year. There are TONS of tackle mfrs, dealerships etc at those. I'm sure I can line up some sponsors for Rich! Besides, you don't need to send money to come fishing up here, but if you really feel the need, make all checks payable to Rob LaMoy c/o North Country Tours.......LOL

OOOOHHHH it's per month.... I like you man, but you're on your own..LOL

Rich,

Like the rest, I'll be more than happy to donate some funds. Post your address and the check's in the mail.

Marke

Rich, how much datas space do you need? Any numbers on your bandwidth usage? I'm running a couple of servers and usually have loads of sace left. 55 megabit private fiber

connection DIRECTLY to our upstream provider. Our upstream has an OC3 to Sprint, a DS3 MCI, and a DS3 to UUNet.

Uptime is normally 99.5 but the last year and a half it's up 100%.

Barry

Here's another thought...put a paypal donation button at the site and when the members have a few extra bucks they can help. The $50 a month may scare a few but if they can donate $10 or $20 here and there that will really help you out.

Year's back I ran Barrry's Clip Art Server (4-6 million hits a month, totaly fee clipart, listed in all major magazines and books) similar to what your thinking. Next thing the sponsors wanted no competor ads on the site and it ran into problems. Finally sold it to a main sponsor and if you visit the site you'll see how trashed it is. I'd hate to see anything like that happen here.

By the way...finally got my boat back today with the 90hp...calling for 3-6 inches on snow but I'm heading out for a quick test run...I'll let everyone know how it works out.

Barry

Guys, thank you very much for the generous donation offers. I really would prefer to avoid member contributions because I believe the site can be sponsor funded. What I will ask of you, if we get sponsors, is that you support them with purchases if they have products/services of interest to you. That makes the whole thing work.

Rob, let's talk. I can host your web site, and maybe we can work out a deal that you can live with.

Beep, I appreciate your offer. I run in a MS IIS/ASP/SQL Server envrionement with a bunch of add-on components. Not only this site, but a half dozen others plus some customer sites I developed run in this environment. This site gets the benefit of a lot of development I do for other business activity. The firm that hosts us (maximumasp.com) is outstanding, and the price is reasonable for the very high level of performance and service delivered. We're eating up SQL Server resources, and extra charges apply, hence the need to fund it some more. Take a look at MySportTrac.com and you'll see a site very similar to this, with tasteful and not overwhelming sponsorship/advertising. I haven't gone the way of Barry's Clip Art, and never will.

Thanks again, friends. You are collectively (and maybe even individually) a class act.

Latest posts

Back