1. Welcome to Nitro & Tracker Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

No Start

Thread in 'Motors & Props' started by Larry (Bo) Bolander, Sep 28, 2014.

1. Larry   (Bo) Bolander

Larry (Bo) Bolander Well-Known Member

I have a 1994 75 hp Mercury. Hit the key, it cranked, started and ran for a few seconds and died. (not unusual, cold natured) Hit the key again and nothing. It beeps when I turn the key and the choke is working but, it won't crank. Got a short somewhere or bad ignition or something. Point is, I need to get it started so I can winterize it. Is there a video that shows how to bypass the ignition and jump start (hotwire) the motor? Want to get it running to run the carburetors dry.

2. Scott Hammer  TOXIC

Scott Hammer TOXIC Well-Known Member

Start eliminating issues. Make sure all of your cables have a good connection. Try a different known good battery.

3. cq

cq Well-Known Member

Also check fuses. FYI a fully charged battery is not 12 volts it's 12.6 because each cell is 2.1 volts.

If the battery is
    12.5 = 85% charged
    12.4 = 65%
    12.3 = 50%
    12.2 = 35%
    12.1 = drained
    I have never seen a cold natured motor, usually some type of tuning issue. My 2 cents on cold natured.

4. rbstern

rbstern Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Also check the kill switch. Easy to bump those, and a likely place for loose or shorted wires.