Nitro Z6 motor cowl won't lock down

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary Hunter

Reaction score
Hey guys. I've got a new Nitro Z6 115 PRO XS and I just removed the cowl to top off oil resevoir (first time). I put the cowl back on motor but it won't lock down. Everything looks good, front latch is engaged, oil cap firmly seated, no hoses in the way etc. and it lines up like it should but when I engage rear latch it feels loose and the slightest upward pressure on back of cowl pops it right up. I don't see any adjustments for the top hook (riveted) or the bottom sliding assembly.

I've tried every combination I can think of .... still no joy.

Has anyone ever run into this or can you think of what I'm doing wrong? I kind of hate to run down the lake with a cowl that's not locked tight.

Thanks all.

OK, I got it to lock down. The upper latch/hook IS adjustable and I was able to lower enough (1/8") to engage lower latch.

Thanks, see ya on the water.

Just wondering why you have to pull the cowl to add oil? No remote tank? If not, access is through a "cap" on the cowl. If you are adding to the engine mounted tank and there is a remote tank in the bilge, there is a proper process to fill that requires running your motor.

TOXIC

He's probably like me Tox and hates to add oil on the lake cuz of the mess.

When in my garage..I always remove the cover and clean up any excess.

Gary i had the same issue with my 2011 Z6 but once i got it adjusted right its fine now. Toxic i always take my cowl off too, same reason that TEE said. clean up easyier and its easyier to see how much oil to put in. Gary good luck with your Z6 i sure do like mine...

Agree Greg...first time I tried adding on the lake, it was a mess. When you remove the top cap, there's a distance between the top and the actual plastic top of the resivoir.

Of course when I was pouring it in..a boat goes by:wacko:

Tox, Actually the funnel is a great invention. I remove the cowl and use a funnel to fill the tank! For the aforementioned reasons. It is a strange disease that drives some of us!!!

Yeah...I don't seem to recall this thing you call a "funnel"?

Some new invention?:lol:

Besides Tox...what do you have to do to the funnel afterwords? That's right...clean it and don't get oil on your carpet.

Latest posts

Back