Nitro '98 Power Prop

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary Rowland

Reaction score
I've got a '98 Nitro 18'8" with a 150hp Mercury that has a four-blade power prop. With a loaded boat it takes forever to get on plane. I think the motor might be to low, any thouhgts?

Might be too low. What pitch is the prop? I have a 26 p Trophy on my Nitro and with a full load, I am on plane and doing 60+ in no time at all.

Max

gary ,

what modle boat do you have?

26" of pitch with a 150 efi or xr6 is way to much wheel for an 882 or even a 898 savage.

my guess is you would preform best with a 23 or 24" wheel.

i've run the 26" tempest quick silver on a Z-9 with a 250 optimax and i cant see a 150hp turning that prop.

max if you are running a trophy you might be running a smaller diamiter than the tempest plus.

"Power-Prop" is a relative term. If the prop you are comparing it to is not allowing the motor to turn at or near the top of the recommended rpm range, a prop of lesser pitch can be deemed as a "power-prop". For every 2" pitch reduction, the net gain is approx 10% more thrust.

Whatever prop you choose, it is a MUST to turn at the TOP of the recommended range, in all applications. More often than not, rpm's will not hurt the engine {within reason}, BUT....overloading it certainly WILL. Think of your car going up a steep hill, foot to the floor, with the brakes on, while pulling your boat. Knocks and pings are probably going to be "heard". Your outboard will not "tell you" that you're loading it too much.....it will merely stop running, and one of your pistons will give it's best impersonation of a golf ball.

If you tell me the exact model, year, and motor, I'll look up the rigging spec. ;)

This is what happens when I dont proof read anything when I use the laptop. lol. Anyway, the prop I have is a 25p Trophy. Its mounted on a 97 (efi) merc. The boat is a 97 Savage 884.

Gary, my motor is mounted in the next to the last top hole.

Max

Bob B.

The motor is a 98 150EFI with a four blade 23% prop. Any help is apprecaited.

Gary

If you have a "savage 884", the correct prop is a Tempest 3-blade 23" pitch. Motor height, 3/4" above transom. ;)

Back