New product - Knotless Boat rope. Review and recommendation

• Thread starter John Astrello [URL]http://www.knotlessboatrope.com
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texas Transplant

Reaction score
I found this product on another board recently, saw a good review for it and ordered a set. Here is a brief description:

Knotless Boat Rope is a single section of durable shock cord that is divided into sections using stainless steel clamps. By dividing the rope into sections, the rope can be easily adjusted and used for multiple tasks at the same time, such as securing a fender and/or mooring the boat. Alone, Knotless Boat Rope can stretch from eight inches to eight feet and secure any watercraft up to 5,000 pounds. The rope can be doubled up to secure heavier boats and looped together if a longer piece is needed.

Knotless Boat Rope was designed as a temporary mooring and can be used on all types of watercraft. It
http://www.knotlessboatrope.com
04-21-03-knotless001.jpg

I took them out on my Stratos recently, and they worked great. They keep out of the way really well, and don't appear to be too suceptible to eating 'hooks'.

I think this is a pretty good product.
04-21-03-knotless003.jpg

Looks like a real trick. Think I'll order a couple. Thanks for passing it along.

Mark, There's a link at the bottom of the original post.

The cost is $19.95 (plus shipping) as I remember it. Comes two to a package. Unstretched, they are about 4-5 feet long. They will stretch to 8' singly or 16' looped together. They are very good quality, and the multiple sections really give you many options.

It is very easy to loop/attach through a cleat, and leave it there. Last sunday when the wife and I went out, we beached near a picnic table and very quickly attached to a tree and then the front cleat.

Tex

It looks like a cool product, but I have a couple of comments/questions:

In unsettled mooring conditions, will the clamps scratch the boat?

If stored wet, will the clamps corrode? Stainless is very corrosion resistent, but not corrosion free.

What's wrong with carrying a couple of 6' lengths of 3/8" poly with loops tied in the ends? One of the great things about cleats is the rope can be any length and still wrapped around a cleat at the appropriate point.

Egads, I sound like one of those old salts who doesn't want to see or hear about anything new. But in this case, I've never had a problem tying off my boat with the lines I already carry, so I'm wondering if the $20 product you describe is truly better than the 50 cents of poly I use.

The clamps are covered and not 'open'. I haven't looked at them that closely, but do not believe they will scratch.

I also have several 'ropes' on deck for quick ability to tie off. While they work, they are in the way most of the time. With this design, I can actually leave them on the cleat and out of the way.

Can't answer the corrison problem. Only had them a short while, and not in salt water.

For me, it was a useful purchase. Wife loves them. The other thing is that they are NOT GOING TO TANGLE, under any circumstance. That's very nice.

Tex

Hey Tex, How securely do they hold the boat to the dock? What I am saying, can you sench it up tight enough to keep the boat from pulling away from the dock? Or do you suggest using a bumper?

You can make it pretty darn tight. With the 'sections', any one of them can be used to attach to either the dock cleat, or the boat cleat. There are about 8 - 10 sections in each rope. Even though the pic's show how to use them, you really almost need to get it in your hands and on your boat to understand how they work.

Basically you pull it through the center eye, and when taught, take that section and pull it over the ends of the cleat. Done.

John

thanks for posting tex. I'm gonna take a look at maybe getting some of these. I spend a lot of time doing the figure 8's around the cleats. thanks again.

jd

How hook resistant are they? Nothin I hate more than hooks in braided rope!

david

Actually, I think that they will be VERY hook resistant. They have the one very tight knit, thin layer on the outside of the 'rope', then it's 'rubber' (or whatever they make them out of) inside that. I looked at it pretty close after getting it, and I believe that even if you get a hook in one, it will for the most part come right out.

I'm like you, once those hooks penetrate a rope, they are a bear to get out. Going out sometime this weekend, so I'll 'see' how they do.

Tex

No, not off hand. I imagine that right now, they maximize their profits by selling off the internet and through boat shows.

Check the link above for additional info.

Tex

Latest posts

Back