new member with a few questions

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Schlottfeld

Reaction score
I am looking into purchasing a 03 882 and have a few questions for people familiar with the boat and mertyl beach SC area.

Good possibility I will be moving to the mb SC area this fall.

Would the 882 be a good boat to own living in the mb sc area?

I am planning on fishing the Santee Cooper lakes along with maby some sw bay fishing on the calmer days.

What motor to get? I am thinging about the 150XR6 but I dont know what the rules are as to outboard motors on fresh water there.

Is there a way to calculate how much the prep and rigging charges are going to add to the cost of the boat.

I already have a galv trailer can I get the boat without the trailer? How much would that take off the price?

Thanks

Mike Schlottfeld

Mike,

I know where there is a sweet looking 896 (I believe) for sale in SC that would save you some bucks. Saw it on BFHP. You can look there (do a search on SC boats), or let me know and I'll pass on the info.

Just checked and it's still for sale. 98 898DC with 200hp EFI for $15,500.00. He sent me some pic's (I've deleted them already), and it was a sweet looking ride. He's had it for sale now for awhile, so a deal can probably be made.

Tex

Dude,

I grew up in south carolina, and if I'm not mistaken, Myrtle Beach area is on the coast near North Carolina and the Santee-Cooper area is closer to mid-state and Charleston area. Thats probably going to be a good little ride.

Anyway, I'm new to boating and I've got a 19 foot nitro with a 150 EFI. It's a smooth running motor and I get no problems out of it.I think the 150XR6 is a little more meticulious - especially if you are going to have it anywhere near that salt and brackish water.

Good luck to you.

Welcome to the site Mike. As far as SC, can't tell you. I have relatives in Columbia and all I know is that it's HOT! LOL But as far as the trailer, they are custom built to match the boat for perfect trailer ride and loading/launching. The bunks are angled perfectly, and are the right length and in the right position as to hug the chines not be on them. Anyway, hope that makes sense, I would sell your other trailer and use the money towards the 882. Good luck.

Welcome mike glad to have new blood to abuse...

Mike - The frieght and rigging is a fixed fee like the boat price, any Nitro dealer can give you the specifics and they were included in every brochure up till 2002, i'm looking at the 2003 (new postersized fold up and can't find any(I couldn't find it on their website www.nitroboats.com). The frieght is different by model. My 2002 brochure says "rigging/prep charge $395 fiberglass" For a frieght example a Targe 18 was $ 540 in 2002. I'd assume around $1,000 for both as a planning number.

If you're thinking of salt water, i'd definetly go with ANY boat to a galvenized trailer. If you have the $$ the 898 comes standard w/out carpet and with the non-slip surface and is perfect for bay fishing and bass fishing, but it's $6k more to start, and as far as I know the 882 doesn't have the non-carpet option (I think only the 898 does).

Good luck!

Mike, I live outside Wilmington,N.C. Love fishing Santee Cooper.According to Rand McNally it is 117 miles from Myrtle Beach to Santee. This will put you in the middle of Lake Marion. If you fish the lower lake which is Lake Moultrie out of Moncks Corner it is 87 miles. I also have a 01 882 with the XR6 on it. Runs like a scalded dog.

Mike, here in the south, there isn't strong support for the environmental measures being phased in. This part of the country is not much on that type of regulation.

I don't believe there are 2 stroke bans on any major bodies of water in the region. Some smaller bodies of water have horsepower limitations, but that's true everywhere. The 2006 CARB/EPA outboard emission restrictions are on the sale of new motors.

We have big reservoirs here in the south, and the water can get a little rough on windy days, but nothing an 882 can't handle. I think it's a great choice for fishing in this part of the world if it meets your needs for capacity and overall features.

I would also be thinking about resale, since carbed engines won't be sold after 2006 they will be a relic of outboards, with newer technologies on the way. An EFI or even Optimax ought to help your resale.

As an owner of an Optimax i would suggest this direction since i love the virtually smoke free operation, idling charteristics and fuel mileage. My last EFI would kill mosquitoes when you first cranked that thing.

Really doen't costs that much more per month when it comes to financing, whatever you decide..

"My last EFI would kill mosquitoes when you first cranked that thing."

Nothing wrong with that!!!

Ok heres the full deal.

I have 30k max to spend and will be looking for a boat and truck.

Spending 3k extra on the boat doesnt leave much for the truck.

I would like to spend 20k max on the boat and I want a new boat.

Do you think I would be better off getting the 750 with the 115 EFI 4-Stroke?

Mike, nope. I'd get the 882/XR6 before the 750/EFI 4 stroke. Nothing wrong with the 750, it's a nice boat, but the 882 is much more boat for the money, and if it's just a question of how the 150 HP is delivered (carb, EFI or DFI), there is no way I'd step down to the smaller boat for engine refinement. Unless I lived in the California, where I would have no choice.

Meant to add: I have had both fuel injected and carbed motors, and while I absolutely love EFI, I wouldn't walk away from a great boat because it lacked EFI.

I also want to ask about auto insurance in SC

Is there a high surcharge for SUVs there?

I currently live in NJ and the surcharge is huge.

Mike, while the block on the XR6 is the same, the expense of swapping all of the different components would be huge. Cheaper to trade the motor in on an EFI, I would guess.

Don't have first hand experience with SC auto insurance, I'll bet dollars to donuts that it's cheaper than NJ. Cheaper by a lot. My auto insurance bill in GA is half of what it was in MA.

Mike,

There is no surcharge for SUV's in SC (I live in Rock Hill). You do pay a use tax, or personal tax, every year on the boat, motor and any vehicles, along with the annual license. No requirements on licensing or paying tax on trailers. As the value on the vehicles goes down, so does the amount you owe.

You indicate that you want a new one (boat), but have also a need for a truck/tow vehicle. Not to be a pest, but that 898DC with the 200EFI Merc. on it for $15,500 in Greenville might be something that you should look at. I have no stake in it at all, it's just one I was considering.

Tex

I would consider the 898 except for one thing

I am not going to be purchasing until my house in NJ sells.

I dont know how long thats going to take so I am figuring that by the time I sell he will probably have sold also.

House is going on the market May 10.

Mike - You moving from NJ (where??) to SC? Man you'll be buying a HUGE house!!! I was born in Fairlawn (in St. Joseph's hospital) and lived in Pompton Lakes til I was a ripe old 6 years old!!! LOL I've done business up/down jersey for Prudential and Volvo. Friends I know how have moved from NY to Florida/Georgia end up with 3-4 times the space for the same $$!

I am currently in Sayreville (central NJ)

I am looking at a new house around the same size as the one I have now but less then half the price.

I bet Mike you're getting a "deal" on the house. It's a GREAT thing especialy since they repealed the Capital Gains tax on houses. All my friends moved a few years ago so they HAD TO buy at least $1 more then their NY/NJ home which meant they got HUGE houses with inground pools...!!

Just in case anyone is still reading this thread, I grew up in Park Ridge. Which is just a stones throw away from Pompton Lakes. My wife grew up there as well. Still have alot of family up in that area.

Dave

WOW Dave, it is a SMALL world!! I don't get up that way much these days. My corp. office (IBM) is in Somers, NY so I don't get over the TappenZ much lately.

Latest posts

Back