Never thought I would ever see this first hand

• Thread starter Jeff Griffeth [URL]http://www.jgriffeth.com/locked
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff Griffeth

Reaction score
Was on my home yesterday and noticed a buck doing something strange in a bean field. Looked thru the binoculars and noticed that he was locked up with another buck which was dead. Wished I had taken a video before I shot the live one, but didn't think about it until after. Live one was a 15 pointer and dead one was a 12. He was so hopped up on adreneline that it took 4 arrows thru the vitals to finally put him down.

http://www.jgriffeth.com/lockedbucks2005.html

http://www.jgriffeth.com/lockedbucks2005.html

Wow! One of the guys here on base found a shed 12 point rack on the golf couse....they are just thick around here:eek:

Dang, two for the price of one, mice deer. My wifes boss has a mount of to he shot that were locked up hanging in his office.

Gun season is not in. Bow still is and I still had a tag to make it legal.

Serious Question... if the deer were on your property (assumed), does the "season" matter? I've always been under the impression that the 'seasons' and regs (hunting and fishing) were for public properties (managed land) as compared to your own property.

Seasons (for most states I know of) are for all property, regardless. There may be different (cheaper) tags for landowners, but everyone still has to abide by the seasons, limits, etc.

The state owns the deer, doesn't matter who's property they are on.

Jeff G.....I've heard some comments on your shot placement and the need for 4 arrows.

Could you elaborate on the story a bit more???

Great camera work, too!!!

I still don't understand the "tags" thing, etc... Do you mean that if is WAS NOT any season, you would have had to leave the second deer to just die there locked up in the field?.

I suppose I would have tried to get a DNR/game warden out to put him out of his misery. But, no, I would not have been able to shoot him.

Jeff

Jeff,

More details please......this is absolutely once in a lifetime!!!

Once in a lifetime for sure.....

I was about 2 miles from home when I passed one of the fields that always have deer in it. I noticed a buck with its head down and it first looked like it had a bush or something on its antlers. I got my binoculars out (which I had almost taken out of the truck the day before) and looked. Sure enough it looked like the other deer was dead. I knew the farmers that lived there and owned the field, so I went and asked them if they minded if I go put it down. They didn't mind and in fact had been wondering what to do since 9:00 that morning when they first spotted them. This was about 3:30 pm.

I ran home and grabbed my bow, camera and wife and little boy. I had my wife call the DNR to make sure it was legal while I was changing clothes. Didn't think about a lot of things - like our video camera. What little video I got I shot after the kill and with the digital camera. That really disappoints me, but I just kept worrying that he was going to free himself and I would miss out. Little selfish, I realize......I would have been happy if he would have gotten out of course, but the way it worked out was real nice too! :)

I walked out to them and took a few pictures. I was quite nervous and my first shot was not a very good one. I know, thinking back, that I was watching the buck and not even really aiming very well. I was just in awe of the whole thing.

My second and third shots were good shots thru the vitals, but he was so pumped up on adreneline that he would just not go down. He had turned and was facing directly at me, so I sliced one down between the shoulder blades. Still he stood there. He was getting weaker, but still not going down. So I took my last arrow and it finally took him down.

He had drug that other buck over 100 yards. It was a sad sight to see, but I feel so fortunate to be the one chosen to be there. After killing the buck, then the realization happened as to how the heck I was going to get them out of the field. We were several hundred yards down the field and it was MUDDY! The farmer didn't want me driving out there and thought it was also too muddy for a four-wheeler. I didn't agree with the four wheeler part, but I wasn't going to argue.

I started calling friends and of course it was no problem getting them to come see this! While they were in route, I caped out the first dead buck starting right in front of the wound. He was beginning to get a bit ripe by this time, especially around his neck when I went to saw thru the spinal cord. It was really rotten smelling. I also field dressed the one I shot to make him a little lighter. It took 4 of us taking turns in pairs to drag the heads and body out of the field. We left the racks together the whole time. I think you could get them apart, but we left them together. They were definitely tied together amazingly well.

I then went and checked the buck in and took the whole thing intact to a taxidermist. He wanted to leave them together as he caped the other one out. They make a mount with two bucks tied together that fits flat on a wall. I think it would be cool to have them in a corner, one buck on each wall. Not sure what we'll end up with. He's going to order both ways and we'll see which looks the best.

Jeff :rolleyes:

INCREDIBLE!

Man, I hope you bought a lottery ticket after all of that. WAY TO GO!!! :D

Jeff,

Do you mind if I copy your story and post it on another board???

That is frikkin' incredible!!!

Jeff, I wasn't being critical of you at all. I meant it when I said I didn't understand. I don't know what Tags are and I also didn't think about DNR putting him down out of season. I'm sorry if you took it the wrong way.

Bill

Latest posts

Back