Need Help With Sea Star Power Steering

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cris Ratzlaff

Reaction score
I have a yr, 2000 200hp merc efi that has a Sea Star Power Steering unit on it, and today when we where out fishing I noticed that when I turned the steering wheel one way it was not smooth. The other way it was somewhat better. It's hard to describe but it kinda felt like it was slipping over or like the pump was bypassing or something. It also seemed that it was not steering right, like you had to steer it way more than you should to get the desired results. I looked around the steering cylinder at the motor and did not see any leaks. I don't know anything about these systems. Can someone please explain how they work and what possibly could be wrong. I noticed that there is a plug right behind the steering wheel. What is that for? Any help would be much appreciated!!:):)

The plug behind the steering wheel is where the hydraulic fluid is checked and filled. Open it up and see if you can see fluid. If not, order some from the Sea Star. Chris F.

Ok.... How much should there be in there? Clear full? Half full? Thanks!!:)

I think it should come to the bottom of the cap. I would have to look a my manual to make sure. Chris F.

One thing to keep in mind is if you are low on fluid than you have a leak somewhere. If might be time to have it checked out, being a safety item its not something to ignore.

Latest posts

Back