Need advise should I replace 901

• Thread starter david Wickenheiser
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david Wickenheiser

Reaction score
Hi

I have a 901 that keeps cracking on the top half. Tracker marine is offering to replace the 901 has a 200 optimax, with a Z8 also wit a 200 optimax. The 901 has 10 times more storage. The electrical system on the Z8 is analog? verse digital on the 901. Up front on the bow the 901 has controls for lights, livewell, trim, live wells seperate switches interior lights and bilge pump. The Z8 has two switches up front what for not sure. I think I would be losing due to the Z8 might be under powered with the 200 optimax, the trolling motor 80 pound thrust might not be to good with the extra weight and length, Lots less in storage and running from the front deck to the console to turn on something in the dark or rough fishing (lake erie)could be dangerous. am I thinking wrong that the 901 is a better tournament friendly boat than the Z8? Thanks

Well, fishing Erie tells me why your 901 is cracking....:lol: Personally, I don't see where the 901 has more storage than the Z8? Where exactly is it coming up short? I've been in 901's and my 2000 929 is the model for the Z8. If I filled up all of my storage my boat would sink.:p I would agree that a 200 is a bit underpowered and would see if you could pay the difference to upgrade to at least a 225. That's what my 929 has, albeit an EFI and I can run 67 all day loaded to the gills. Mine also jumps out of the hole, which was a big problem with the 901's. You get a newer, bigger boat and for minimal coin update the motor....I'd be all over it. If you want to change out the TM you can later or just pull it off when you take delivery, sell it and upgrade. I ran my boat with the stock 67lb for YEARS on St Clair, Champlain, Wolf River and the Potomac with no problems, was it underpowered....yep, but it will work. I always said I would wait until it died to upgrade and it finally broke a steering cable last year and I still only put a 71lb MG on it. You need more with Erie anyway and you will also need to get the longer shaft, heck I could use more if I fished the slop on the Potomac but I get by.

TOXIC

Tough decision. Personally I wouldn't be concerned with the lack of switches up front, but then I've never had them there either. If they are replacing the entire unit, motor and all, then there is some added value there. I would have expected them to hang your motor on the new hull. Storage is always an issue, but with less storage room available you won't have as much weight so the 200 may be fine. ;) Maybe they'll make you a deal on upgrading the engine too.

Of course you'll have to change your screen name too. :) 2010nitroZ8 Hmm...

Gene

For resale aspect alone from the details provided, I would recomend the Z-8. That's a heck of an upgrade and will leave you in a better fiscal position still in a very good fishing platform. I would also pay the upcharge and max the transom HP. Good luck! ;)

I'd make the switch too.....Z hull's are better!;) (Don't think "storage",..think "Materials, construction, handling, warranty, and resale!")

I made a "switch" earlier this year because of a problem with my old boat and am very happy I did. I have a two year newer, brand new boat with full warranty on the boat and motor. I was also able to upgrade to any option I wanted (for the upgrade charge). I opted to order one to get the exact colors I wanted.

I'd make the switch to a new Z8 and upgrade to the 225 or 250 if that's what you want.

Thanks For all the input. No this boat has never been on erie Now the old stratos loved it up there. This boat has only been to the potomac but maybe 6 times. mostly on the upper bay idling recording with the side finder. Still a tough decission. thanks again I will keep you posted what happens. have a great day. :unsure:

Latest posts

Back