MOTOR QUESTION FOR BOB B.

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim Greifer

Reaction score
I have a 1997 115 Merc. on my 1997 Nitro. I have a small oil leak that I have had since I have owned the boat (4 years) and I have never found the source. It seems to leak more when trailered, trimmed up and moving, as well as when motor is running. Does not leak much, if any, when parked and stationary.

The motor runs excellent and I have never had an issue with it, however, I was wondering if you may be able to guide me as to where to look and what to look for. I have taken the cowl off and there is no oil in the bottom of the carb area (front of motor), but that seems to be area that it drips from. ANY thoughts would be EXCELLENT!!!! Thank you in advance for everything you do on here for everyone.

LEAK.jpg

LEAK-ARROW.jpg

Yes, it is common to see oil puddled in the motor well from that series of engines.....when tilted. MOST LIKELY what you are seeing is the leftover oil AFTER the fuel has evaporated, from the carb throats. You may have a float that is set slightly on the high side, allowing a bit of MIXED fuel to exit the carb. If you pull off your "sound attentuator", or air box, look into it and on the bottom...if it's full of the same oil, there it be.

Other possiblities:

-cracked oil tank {unlikely}

-oil tank vent {seen these fall off}

-cracked cap or stripped, missing gasket

-breach in a bleed hose, fuel, or oil.

I'll follow by saying that if it were anything other than "carb drool", you'd see it regardless of motor trim angle. ;)

You all are the best. I appreciate the help. Tournament tomorrow, so I can not dig into it right now!!! But I am welcoming the challenge. Thanks again for the information and I appreciate all of the help!

This "carb drool"; is it something to be concerned about or is it just a cosmetic issue.

Carb'd engines do this on a "regular" basis. Is it right, no. Can it be corrected, yes. Float height usually is the culprit. More than likely, you will not notice any running issues. ANY fuel leaks should be dealt with. ;)

Back