motor decal information

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Soult

Reaction score
We have a lake here close to home that has a 9.9 limit on it. I've got a 25 hp motor and I'm trying to find Mercury 9.9 decals to put on it so that I can fish there. Everybody in town does this, including my next door neighbor, so I know it's not a problem. I just haven't been able to locate the decals because the Mercury Parts Express wants a serial number to look up the part and since my motor is a 25 I don't have a serial number for a 9.9. Any ideas? Thanks in advance for any help.

You need to find someone that has a 9.9hp Merc and get the serial number. You might have a hard time finding one in your town since everyone just has the stickers and no ethics! Why not get a used 9.9hp motor?

Bob G.

Assuming this lake is not actually "patrolled"? Picturing a NITRO 929 with a 225 EFI sporting "9.9" decals on the motor.... Hmmmm...

The wardens here in VA are too smart for that. They are up on their cowlings better than just reading the stickers. I have seen them make guys pull the cowling before also. If they are dense enough to mistake a 25 for a 9.9 don't worry about the decals!LOL

TOXIC

hehe - Big boat/tiny eng, game warden and red face fisherman ==> sounds like a Scales & Tales scene.

Speaking of pontoon boats...at lake conroe I was fishing boat docks and, low and behold, came across a 19' pontoon boat with a 200hp merc on it. Bet that thing will ride...hehe

Bob, is the lake small? can you use your trolling motor to get around it?

Why would the DNR "select" to enforce some and not the others. Don't get your nose outta joint. Nobody is jumping you, but we all believe in obeying the regs/law. Kinda hard for the DNR to issue you a ticket when the pontoon with the 25hp motor goes motoring by.

TOXIC

Sounds like they don't want fishermen on their lake. I'd let them write me up personally and then go take pics of all the "oversize" motors. Betcha the law would change then!!

TOXIC

Be sure to get a photo of the judge's 225 HP with those little stickers on it....

Here is the easy way to do it... Go to the phone book and fing you closest local sign shop, the smaller the better. Now with your boat or cowling in hand, stop and show the motor to them. They should be able to match your numbers perfectly. Knowing several people that have done this, putting the new numbers on crooked or having generic looking numbers is a dead giveaway to those that patrol the waters.

Good luck and don't get caught.

Latest posts

Back