Mercury 60 HP question...(Experts HELP)

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason Ott

Reaction score
I have a '94 Mercury Tracker motor on a 160 TF Nitro boat. I am experiencing a problem with the power.

When I get the boat on water it runs like a stiped ape. After a few hours???, it will loose power and bog down. It will still run and idle, but will not run WOT. It pulls the boat under it's own power, but is not acceptable. Sometimes it will start working well again without letting off of the throttle, but normally I have to turn off the motor. When I turn the motor off and let it set a minute or two it will take off again and run great. It may run great for a few minutes or a few hours, but will always do it again at some point....???

I orginally thought it was a fuel problem. I have replaced the fuel filter and added a seperator. I have also changed the plugs and drained the tank. There was no residue in the tank. Nothing seems out of place under the cowling. everything is clean as a whistle and doesn't seem to any corrosion on the terminals and grounds... The plug wires are in good shape and have no tears or cracks..

Can someone please point me in the right direction to get this problem solved?? Thanks in advance...

How about the tank vent??? Could be blocked and creating a vacuum in the tank and restricting fuel flow. Could also be a bad squeze bulb.

Agree....I don't think it would be a module. If it were it would probably do it all the time.

Replace the bulb if it hasn't been changed for awhile.

The fuel bulb is what I was thinking too. My 50 did the same thing and after $225 spent on carb work that didn't fix the problem a new bulb made everything good. Try that first.

Harpo

Had same problem on my 75 merc. Ended up being a small piece of trash in the carb jet needle. Cleaned out a year ago and no problems since.

Latest posts

Back