Memorial Day

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg Meyer

Reaction score
Once again we are coming up to another Memorial Day. We have suffered terrible losses in the recent past and it seems that with the passing of every day fewer and fewer people remember those losses. On September 11th, 2001, 343 Firemen died trying to save people from an evil cowardly attack. Another 50 sworn Law Enforcement Officers were killed that day. The whole world watched as the planes crashed into the towers and the Pentagon and later the towers collapsed and the Pentagon burned. And, over Pennsylvania the passngers and crew of Flight 93 struck the first retaliatory blow. We finished that day with the knowledge that once again blood would have to be shed protecting our freedom and way of life. Everywhere new heroes were being added to the list of American heroes. Right now, our friends and our friends' children are stepping up to fight for our freedom. More American lives will be lost in the future defending us here at home, more heroes will be addded to the list..

What do we owe these heroes? We owe them our respect and thanks. I just spent a few hours with my one day old new grandson, holding him in my arms. Over thirty years ago I had the greatest personal honor a man could ever have, I was privileged to lead Marines in battle. And,today I thought of all that has happened since September 11th, 2001 to change our wolrd, and also how little has really changed. Thirty years ago the majority of the Marines around me were 19 and 20 year old heroes. Some of those heroes never came home to hold their grandsons in their arms. Today, the majority of the heroes protecting our freedom again are 19 and 20 year old Americans. So little has changed, only the focus of our concern. Thirty years ago the greatest threat to our freedom was a monolithic communist oriented group of nations that vowed to destroy us. Today we directly threatened again by a coalition, albeit a different one, but just as dangerous and just as determined. And, just as it was thirty years ago, our finest and bravest young men and women are defending our freedom. More heroes are being added to the list.

Memorial Day is a great day to have a family picnic. It is also a great day to remember the heroes. Remeber the heroes who birthed our nation with their blood in the 18th Century... The heroes who kept a nation together in the 19th Century. The heroes of the 20th Century who fought two world wars, fought communism to a stalemate in Korea and Vietnam, liberated Kuwait, and fought other battles in the 20th Century. And, now in the dawn of the 21st Century more heroes are still defending us, fighting fires, and coming to our aid when crime strikes.

What do we owe them. We owe them this... our thanks and respect. And, we also owe them this as well; we owe them a place in our memory and hearts. Throughout all the centuries that have passed, our friends, our parents, our children, our grandchildren, our neighbors have become those heroes. Some have made the ultimate sacrifice in our name...

As I held my grandson, I said a prayer of thanks to God asking him to take care of all the heroes it has taken to let me sit on that couch and hold little Aiden in peace and freedom. Sometime on Memorial Day, I hope you will take a moment and reflect on what we owe the heroes and what they have given us with their sacrifice. And, pray that someday just maybe we won't have to make any more new heroes...

Thanks Greg, very well written. I usually get into Washington to meet some friends and comrades in arms over this week-end and more than a few of us couldn't make it this year so we called it iff. I will say more than a few prayers though. I have a long list of prayers, thanks, & best wishes to say and think about.

Uncle Billy

It is our duty to remember and respect the lives that were given for us to live free. I will be doing the American Hero's/Wounded Soldier tournament again this year (June 3rd) and although it breaks my heart to see these young men and women battle torn, it's the least I can do to give a little back to those that have given so much.

TOXIC

Thanks Greg for words that speak volumes about untold stories of sacrafice from everyone who ever gave their live to preserve thr freedom we all enjoy but do not always appreciate.

MARK

Latest posts

Back