Lowrance Side Imaging

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes and must say it's very impressive. I have the HDS 8 on the console and a 5 up front, will eventually upgrade the front to an 8 as well I think. The ability to split the screen 3-4 ways is just too nice to have, and the 5 can only do 2.

5bo8p5.jpg

hwz7n7.jpg

6p3tde.jpg

It seems noone has them in stock, so I ordered mine today from West Marine, it will go on the HDS7. How is the transducer mounted to the bottom?

Jimmy, check with Northern Bass Supply. They may still have some in stock.

I mounted the transducer on the step of my Z-7. Got the guard from Scap and Shirley over at "Transducer Shield & Saver". He's got several different mounts available. Jackplate mounts, step, even a combo unit for the trolling motor, which holds both the LSS and the 2D ducers. Give him a buzz, I'm sure he can find something for your application.

http://www.transducershieldandsaver.com/home/

3502npz.jpg

2yvjlar.jpg

I like it on the step, does the guard epoxy to the boat or do you have to drill through?

I have seen this bracket before (on BBC) and have been wondering what the purpose of it is?

The transducer will be out ofthe water while on pad so there really is not a need to have a "sheild" is there? I can understand the need or want to have one while idling and looking in stump infested waters, but since the transducer is designed to mount flat to the step or the included kick away bracket, I am missing the true purpose or need to have an additional bracket on there.

The wedge I can see. That will get the transducer "flat" on a negative step. I have thought the installs that I had seen pictures of with the transducer mounted directly to the hull in the same area (on a different boat with a flat step) and it looked just fine.

Can you tell me why one would need this? Is it to reduce (or eliminate) the amount of drilling/silicone/screws?

Good ? mini. Give us some feed back Hitorq is it drilled on or does it come with 3m glue or something similar? Shield looks good to me. My fishing buddy has a humingbird that he switches from the side image too his thru hull drucer when on fast plane. Does Lowrance have this capability to do that by switching ducer's when going over fast plane?

The shield on the step could be considered a little over cautious I suppose but I figured since Lowerance isn't selling just the transducers and I do quite a bit of "stump fishing it was worth the few extra bucks. Besides with the luck I have if it can go wrong or break it usually does so I always err on the side of caution. :)

I suppose the wedge "could" be epoxied to the boat but it is designed to mount via two screws which is what I did, then a little silicone sealant and it's good to go. I'd be worried about the epoxy coming lose and the ducer winding up in a pop without them. With the wedge and the mount you eliminate the need to drill 4-6 hole that you would require with the default bracket that comes with the LSS. Since I'm only running a 6" jackplate if I had gone the jackplate mount method it would have placed the transducer closer to the engine then I was looking for and think I would have gotten turbulent interference from the prop wash etc.

As for switching between transducers no need, the LSS, and HDS combo uses both all the time, (if you have the 2d sonar on), so no switching is needed I have a thru hull transducer in the same location the boat came with one so the LSS overlay works out well, since both transducers are only about 12" apart. Once I hammer down the throttle I usually switch the view on the HDS to the sonar/chart anyway.

I am guessing those screws go all the way through, would it not be better to use bolts with locking nuts and sealant on both sides? And if you did the direct mount, flat to the step, which would be my desired mount, how much would that effect the orientation of the image?

My direct experiences with side imaging and the large transducer that it uses, is that the placement and orientation is paramount so that you get an accurate readout. The other is, that at least on the HBird side imaging, it's a 'go slow' situation. I'm assuming that Lowrance is the same.

In short, 5mph or less is the preferred speed. So, putting it where it is potentially out of the water when running, is not a concern that should bother you.

You need to mount it where:

There is no side to side obstruction (obviously).

Don't mount it 'right in front of the prop', for you will get too much turbulance even at slow speeds.

It's needs to be mounted so that it is 'parallel' to the water surface. If not, it's going to be shooting an 'angle' shot and will not give you good results.

Given all of that, do it correctly, or you simply will have wasted money on a very expensive item.

Tex

Mine is mounted at the same place on my Triton. I just used the factory mount since it seems to be so protected on the step there. It will be out of the water when running on plane and is protected by the bottom of the boat when fishing. One thing though, did you have to Flip Left/Right with the way you have yours mounted? Mine is mounted with the cable in the back and everything seems to be on the correct side but with yours being mounted the other way, I just wondered if you had to flip it. The Structure Scan and regular 2-D sonar are working off different transducers. So when you hit the gas and get up on plane if you have the regular sonar up on the screen you will continue to see the depth just like normal. The Structure Scan doesn't work at speed so if you have that up on the screen, it will lose contact. I am running mine with a three way split normally. I have the side scan, downscan, and 2-D sonar all up at the same time. I've only had mine on for a couple weeks and don't have any cool pictures like those yet but I am impressed with it. I have an HDS8 at the console and kept my LCX28 for the bow.

NoCAL

So, Tex, what you are saying is that I have to either use the bracket that comes with it and mount it on the vertical surface of the step or buy the wedge bracket and mount it on the horizonal surface.

Hitorq, I went to the web site but didn't see that mount listed, do I need to call them for that mount?

Jimmy, yes, I mistyped there, they are bolts with self locking nuts on them. Of course sealed up with a good quality sealant. As for mounting it with the supplied bracket, I "believe" there is enough adjustment you could just use that on the bottom of the step in stead of on the rear transom, I'd have to dig the original bracket out of the man-cave to check for sure, but I do know with the kick up ability "if mounted on the rear transom" might give you enough to just mount that on the step then adjust till the ducer was parallel to the water. I'm fishing tomorrow, but can check it out Sat and see if I can get you a few photos just holding the bracket on the step and see what it might look like.

As for the mounts not on their website, it gets updated rather slowly, I do know Scap keeps tabs on the BBC forums so could try there, or just send them an email. The're located just down the road from me so I just stopped in one day with the boat which is how we decided which mount to use on the Z-7 since he hadn't seen one mounted on a Z-7 yet.

NoCal, yes I had to "flip left/right" on my rig since the cable comes out the back rather then the front.

Well dug out the original mount for the LSS transducer this afternoon. Now I didn't disassemble my mount to make sure all the wires, and screws would clear the boat but it does have the hinge in the correct place so might work for mounting the transducer on the step rather then on the transom if you so desired.

Glenn,

I am thinking of the same unit and keeping my x28 for the bow also. How easy was it to network the units? Is it possible??

Just curious how yours is set up.

I am getting some new chips from Navionics soon so I have to get moving on my HDS8 purchase....oh one more thing. Did you go with the HUGE RAM mount on the HDS 8? or a standard one? I know people are switching to the BIG BALL mount, but I didnt have too much trouble with the std one and my x28....I do have plenty of std ones, and one BIG BALL mount. I got the big one CHEAP on ebay, but it has the long arm.

Thanks!

Mini

FYI, I called Transducer and Saver today, they have the guard like what is pictured above for $149 and they have almost the same thing but does not include the "guard", made especially for mounting to the step with the wedge, $79 plus shipping. He said he made the wedge with a groove to fit the cable in and mounts cable forward hopefully elimates snagging the cord from behind and pulling the cable out of the ducer.

Mini, I mounted my HDS7 with the big ball that has, I think, a 3 1/4" arm. I just folded it flat and it puts it a little closer to me, old eyes can see it better. Actually I could use a large flat screen TV there if I could afford one.:D

Latest posts

Back