locating gps antenna for Hbird 797c SI

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Glover

Reaction score
What are the problems I'm going to run into mounting the external GPS antenna that comes with the Humminbird 797cSI unit for the console of my '97 PT 18? There isn't much flat space to the right of the windshield and I figure I'll use up most of that with the unit.

Don't know a thing about GPS yet, so I'm open to any kind of advice. I was going to wait until January for the same unit that will be coming out with an internal antenna, but the more I read, the more I read about how much better the external antennae perform.

I guess I could run a wire back through the throttle control unit and mount the antenna right behind my seat on the flat deck, but I do fish with a clumsy buddy who has been know to kick a tackle box overboard when riding shotgun back there, so am a little leery of that approach.

Any advice out there?

Jack

Jack - I had a Hbird 787c2 on my PC 175, since the consoles are plastic at the suggestion of Greg Walters at Hbird I tried mounting mine UNDER the console and it worked like a charm! It was out of the way, picked up signal great, and no worries. Now on my 700lx the thick fiberglass consolue I could not do that, had to mount it on the top flat area with the Hbird unit. I've also seen guy run the transducer cable to the back corner and mount it on the gunwale or rear cap.

Trep

Jack,

We mounted the GPS antennaes on the gunwale just forwards of the driver's console on the PT 18 we used to have at work. We used some 3M brand VHB marine grade double-sided tape. They worked well there and stayed put for years until removed (forcibly I might add), but then there wasn't much fishing going on in that boat... Where ever you decide you want to mount the GPS antennse; test the location first to make sure that it will work.

Greg Walters at Humminbird

[email protected]

Try a RAM mount. They have a plate that will allow you to mount the puck right behind the finder.

Rich D

Wow! As usual, good help from this forum. Thanks to all, and I'm leaning toward the easiest one yet, the one Greg said mounted with 3M tape on the gunwale.

Thanks everyone, now send money.

jack

Back