Livewell pumps replaced! Thanks for the advice

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texas Transplant

Reaction score
I got my two new Mayfair pumps installed (working) this weekend. Took about 4-5 hours to complete (not working continuously the whole time). Up/down on the concrete didn't do this old man much good, but it's finished.

The biggest problem - just getting the two older units out! What a pain. It took well over an hour to get them out, and the residue cleaned up.

Checked both pumps for 'running' before putting in the final touches. Have let them 'cure' since Saturday, so they should be good to go. I did upgrade to the 750 gph pumps, so I need to pay a little closer attention when filling and with the timer. Not sure that my 'exit pipes' will get rid of it fast enough.

I did do something that may help in the future. I used male/female insulating connectors on both pumps. If I ever have to change a pump head/cartridge out, I just unplug them, climp on two new 'male connectors', and plug them back in. All the electrical is inside a 'wiring jacket' in the bilge.

Thanks again for the advice.

Tex

Awesome Tex, now its time to go fishing. I have one quesation. The connectors you used are then in an area where they can get wet? On my nitro they did the same thing and while it makes replacement easier because they put the connectors in a area that gets wet they got all corroded and got to the point where my original pumps werent operating properly if at all sometimes. All that corrosion was causing very bad current flow. I ended up moving the connectors higher in an area where water wouldnt hit them after i replaced the connectors. i also put int dielectric grease on them too. After that the pumps were fine for year until i decided i wanted 750's and replaced them wit hthe mayfairs.

They 'could get wet', but shouldn't. The wires are not laying on anything, but rather are suspended within the 'wire wrap'.

I thought of that, but my boat is full of those types of connectors. Not all are in 'wet areas', but certainly are in damp areas.

I may look at the dielectric grease that you mentioned.

I'm going to keep an eye on them, but I don't think they should be a problem.

Tex

That's GREAT NEWS Tex. I'm looking for an experianced pump replacement technician to change out my bilge pump. Come on over....what kind of beer do you prefer?

Harpo

Latest posts

Back