Keeping boat cover clean

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich Stern

Reaction score
My driveway expansion project is done, and my boat now lives in my expanded driveway, next to my house.

Unfortunately, now that it's exposed to the elements, the cover is getting pretty ugly from mildew, mostly from the wet leaves that accumulate during wet weather. It cleans up fine, but it's a chore.

The cover is doing it's job and the boat is staying clean. But the cover looks ugly just a week after cleaning it. Anybody got a product or a tip for giving the cover a little more resistance to dirt and mildew buildup?

Yea, park it in the garage! Not enough room? Build another one!!

Bob G.

I had the same problem when I took my boat out of the storage garage by the lake and brought it home.... I just think it is cheaper to replace a cover than a boat... you could always put a carport over the boat... I cant, the assc. wont let me ...

Kraig

Bob, believe me, I'd love a bigger garage. I gave up parkign my Sport Trac in there two years ago. Just too tight next to the minivan. And definitely not long enough for a 17' boat. Next house I (never) buy, bigger garage.

Kraig, covenants here, too. No carports. I'll replace the cover as necessary, but I'd like for it to look reasonably neat in the meantime.

Whats the cover made of? Could you use one of the many Armorall products or maybe scotch gaurd??

BF

Give this a try.. It's good stuff..

You can get free samples here:

http://www.303products.com/main.php?infopage=freesample
http://www.303products.com/main.php?infopage=fabricguard
fabricguard_th.jpg

I recently contacted Dowco and I have a canvas cover, they told me to clean it with vinegar and water 50/50 mix then use 3M scotch guard.

She also said a sales rep said there are allot of folks using oxyclean but she couldn't recommend that because of the warranty issues.

If you have a Dowco cover call them they are real helpful.

I haven't done mine yet but I don't have leaves that build up on the cover.

Hope that helps.

cb
http://www.dowco-inc.com/

Rich,

Just cleaned the Stratos that I bought (from Atlanta - say MILDEW), and the top was also pretty grimy.

One cup bleach to one gallon water, if doing by hand. Put on, rub gently, apply again in 15 minutes if needed.

Alternately, take the cover to a washateria (sp?) and use one of the big heavy industrial washing machines. Put in soap and 1-2 cups of bleach. After spinning, take it home to dry.

The top that came with my boat (very light, but useable), was really pretty mildew ridden and just dirty. I could get it in my washer (since light). Cleaned right up with NO problems using the above formula.

After getting it clean, you would periodically use a hose sprayer with a venturi to give it a once over in the driveway. The bleach is the real key, as it attacks and kills the mildew.

Tex

Well some good ideas. I got one them $500 covers and don't think chemicals is the best answer. Unfortunately I do not have garage and my cover gets uglies. Soft diash soap does not harm the fabric guard. To maintain the water resistance I use scotch guard, put cover on and spray light coats now and then. Seems to be doing well, cover is two years old and still going strong.

Rich - I'll have an extra bay in the garage after June 3rd when we close on the other house and I can put the utility trailer away. Just drag it over here and i'll make sure it gets some use while you work!!!! LOL

Trep, it's a deal, so long as you agree to have my boat in the water, ready and waiting whenever I need to use it, on 30 minutes notice. :)

Tex, I've had a couple of people warn me off bleach because it may affect the longevity of the cover. Bleach is hard on the threads, is what I have been told. I just got a recommendation to use Starbrite Mildew Stain Remover; don't know if it's a bleach based product or not. I'll let you know how it works.

Hey, ya know what bugs me???? What's up with DB's in the majors? LOL!!!!! Had to do it Rich.

Straight bleach is hard on fabric/thread. Diluted at 1 cup to gallon for sponge on, or 1 cup per tub washer, shouldn't hurt it.

Remember, mildew is a 'fungus' type of thing. You gotta kill it, and remove it. Be interesting to hear how you like the Starbrite stuff.

Tex

Rich - If you make it 60 minutes, which is the minimum it would take you from your place to Allatoona you got a DEAL!!! LOL Now if we're talking Lanier i'd still need 60 minutes 'cause it'll take me 50 to get thier!!!

Glad to hear you got the boat back "home" where it belongs! So, where are the pics for the new driveway?

Latest posts

Back