Justice can be sweet!!

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill McElroy

Reaction score
Six fishermen plead guilty for excessive fishing of smallmouth bass: Outdoors NotebookBy D'Arcy Egan, The Plain Dealer May 07, 2010, 7:30AMPORT CLINTON, Ohio --

Six southern fishermen had a banner week of smallmouth bass fishing on Lake Erie last week, and it could cost them their boats, bass and plenty of cash after being cited for overbagging 141 smallmouth bass.

The men, from Tennessee and Georgia, were under surveillance for a few days before Ohio wildlife officers arrested them last Friday.

"It was the largest case of overbagging Lake Erie bass I'd ever seen," said Gino Barna, head of Lake Erie law enforcement. "Few Ohio fishermen, especially the hardcore bass anglers, keep Lake Erie smallmouth bass. We observed these six men making two or three fishing trips a day, bringing back a daily limit of bass each time."

The daily limit when they were fishing was five per day.

Cited were: Freeland Leffew, 66, of Soddy Daisy, Tenn., and his son, Michael Leffew, 38, of Hixson, Tenn.; Samual Stephens, 58, of Soddy Daisy, Tenn.; Freddie Warren, 63, of Wildwood, Ga.; and Charles Burkhart, 67, and Samuel Carroll, 65, both of Ringgold, Ga.

Ohio's closed bass season on Lake Erie began Saturday. Bass caught through June 25 must be released.

Port Clinton Municipal Court Magistrate Louis Wargo accepted guilty pleas on all 30 charges from the six men on Monday. Wildlife officials confiscated three bass boats, two chest freezers, 155 bags of frozen fish and 20 unfrozen fish. A pre-sentencing report is due Tuesday, with sentencing June 2.

In addition to court fines, the Division of Wildlife is seeking restitution of $50 per fish, or $7,050, forfeiture of boats and freezers and a three-year revocation of their fishing licenses. Ohio is one of 34 states belonging to the Interstate Wildlife Violator Compact.

Oddly enough, the men said they had also caught a few walleye, which they released.

Let's just hope they don't merely get a 'slap on the wrist' for this one...

az

Looks like stiff penalties. What were they thinking? No one keeps smallmouth bass......

Saw that a couple days ago, that is going to be one expensive fishing trip. I hope the state gets everything they are going after.

One thing I didn't understand about the story, it says the season is closed except for catch and release, but also says the limit is five when they were fishing?

Ohio has a catch and release season AND a closed season. I think they were fishing in the catch and release season.....besides, poachers dont have seasons.

I hope they throw em in jail and take their privledge of fishing away ANYWHERE! (like that will stop em)

I agree, when your hunting/fishing license is revoked, it should be nationwide and not just one state.

Well most states have a reciprocal agreement. If you are banned in one you are banned in the other. Ohio and Tennesee do! Not sure about Ohio and Georgia, but I assume they do.

A few years ago a MINISTER and his friends were caught in Minnesota with 200 gills over the limit!!!!!!!!!! Heaven help us!:wacko:

Randy!

Throw them UNDER the jail!

POACHER backwards spells...MORON!:rolleyes:

The men, from Tennessee and Georgia, were under surveillance for a few days before Ohio wildlife officers arrested them last Friday.

"It was the largest case of overbagging Lake Erie bass I'd ever seen," said Gino Barna, head of Lake Erie law enforcement. "Few Ohio fishermen, especially the hardcore bass anglers, keep Lake Erie smallmouth bass. We observed these six men making two or three fishing trips a day, bringing back a daily limit of bass each time."

Why did they wait so long? I understand now they can get a bigger sentence, but look how many more bass were taken, when they could have made a case from one day of observation.:wacko:

They have to have an iron clad case, or the courts would throw it out..maybe this is what it takes for Ohio to get a conviction??

Agreed with CIII. If they moved in too quickly and did not have enough evidence, those men would beat the rap.

I'll admit, I'm one of the first to defend a fisherman who LEGALLY keeps a fish or two for consumption (as I do it myself on occasion). This case went WAY beyond the pale. No excuse. Throw the book at 'em.

Not sure why anyone would want to keep that many smallmouth.

I'm happy they were caught. The fine sounds just. However, I do not believe the state should have the right to seize anyone's property for such an offense. It's not like a drug deal where they used the profits to buy bass boats. If the state winds up in posession of those boats, it's a dramatic eigth amendment violation.

Imagine if you were caught speeding and the state said..."thanks for your truck, we'll enjoy it!"

Personally I think we should ask for a fish fry...They should have to buy the beer..All Is fair In fishing and drinkin.....( for us hillbillys)

Latest posts

Back