Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teri C.

Reaction score
Went car shopping twice, been online looking at everything, and tonight, I may have found "the one" that might make me sell my Infiniti. It's a 2002 with every option available, V8, 235 hp, 295 torque, tow package with the upgrades and only 16000 miles. I just got the carfax report and it's very clean.

Now, some of you will say "why would she give up an Infiniti for a Jeep". I said that to myself so I named off all the reasons to trade: smaller loan, smaller payment, cheaper gas, cheaper plates, cheaper insurance, cheaper maintenance (assuming I don't get a lemon), better equipped for towing and off roading at the cabin, more options than my Infiniti, more cabin room because I am tall.

Reasons to keep my Infiniti: 1) Reliable, better rated than a Jeep, 2) Resale, although the Cherokee Limited is pretty good, neither would be worth much if I keep it say 5 years, 3) Status, yes I am not too proud to admit that an Infiniti is a higher class vehicle in people's mind.

Sounds to me like the Jeep is the better deal. I honestly looked at everything (that would be cheaper) and nothing even turned my head enough to drive it (not even other Jeeps) until I ran across this car. Must be the look of it on the outside that drew me (tire and rim upgrades and an unusual color, onyx green that looks sort slate) and I really like the interior (Ford Explorer and Mountaineer were ok but not great). I drove it and it is more truck like than my Infiniti but it still road pretty nice going 80-90 down the highway and ok on the city roads.

What do you think? Any good or bad experiences?

Teri: I have a 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 6 cylinder that just turned 100,000 miles and it also has a class III towing package. I have not had any trouble with this Jeep. In fact I just had the first tune up when it turned the 100,000 Mi. I tow a '93 Nitro 170TF/115 Johnson and the transmission is as strong as the day I bought it. I recently bought a 2002 Caravan and gave my daughter the Jeep. Well, I drove the van for four months and felt like a fish out of water and had to get my Jeep back from my daughter. Yep, she
http://www.pbase.com/winn777/nitro

Teri, I have owned many cars and trucks over the years and I have to say my current 2001 Jeep GC Larado is my favorite. I have the straight 6 cyl and 4 wd. I bought it new and now have 91k on it. I still looks and runs like brand new--not even a rattle. Have had one malfunction, the cooling fan crapped out last July and was fixed under my extended warranty. It tows my boat as if it wasn't there. Goes through the snow and mud with no problemo. As far as "status", personally I consider a Jeep the real thing and an Infiniti a wantabe. (No offense I hope) I have owned everything from Fiat's to Corvette's and the Jeep is probably the only one I would consider buying another just like it. Although I have to admit that sometimes I do wish I had a pickup.

Hope this helps. Let me know if I can answer any ?'s.

Harpo

Teri: Most Jeeps I see at the shop are for normal maint. the mid 90's did have problems with bad evaerator cores, but I understand that has been fixed. If you really like it and can sell your Jap truck with out takeing to big of a hit then go for it. Unless that status thing you talked about means alot to you.

BF

P.S We did put an engine in a 98 with 138,000 and only 10 oil changes.. Pay me now or pay me later..

I'm pretty sure you'll smoke the Infinity off the line. Until the BMW came along, the V8 Grands used to have the rights of top dog.

We've got a '98 Loredo with a 6 pack, and I'd happily buy another or maybe a Suburban.

Teri,

We have a 2000 Limited with all the goods. My wife uses it for her daily driver. We both like it a lot. Late 2000 and beyond they had most of the kinks worked out of the latest body style. It tows my boat around no problem. Not as good as my 2003 Z71 but that's not fair. :)

Teri,

A guy in my club has towd with two of them. one his current 02 and the other a 99 that he gave to his son. He likes both of them and says they tow well. He tows a triton tr21 with his. I have the same motor in my Dakota. Its a good towing motor, if you buy it i think you will like it.

sorry about the blank reply. I was thinking about what I was going to say nad hit reply before I actually typed anything.

Here is my story. I bought a 1996 Grand cherokee used with approx 50,000 miles. It has all options except leather and sunroof I beleive. Engine is the 5.2L V8 with Factory towing package and All Wheel Drive. I tow a PT 175 with 25hp 4-stroke all over the place. I also have a 20ft I/O ski boat I bought this year and it gets towed the same way. I live in Central IL and tow up to Minneapolis MN (8-10hrs), Southern IL (4-6 hrs), and Missouri (6-8hrs) so far with absolutley no problems. Local trips multiple times a week up to 30-45 minutes. I just rolled over 160,000 on the odometer and plan to go to at least 200,000 unless it blows up on me, but does not show any signs of excess wear/tear problems. With the PT 175 behind me I don't even notice it's there. I know the ski boat is back there , but has not presented any problems. I have two info comments. I use premium gas(92-93 octane) when I know I am going to tow the ski boat and 89 all other times or I notice it will ping on hard acceleration or going up a big hill. The second thing is that gas mileage will start dropping pretty well at 75mph or higher. I just made a 5 hour run to Southern Illinois a few weeks ago and ended up at about 11-12mpg when we cruised at 80MPH most of the way on interstates. Generally I have been very happy with the vehicle and plan on keeping it until it drops. I had a Jeep Cherokee with the 4.0L inline 6 for the previous 12 years before buying this one so I am a bit of a Jeep fan. I used to work for Chrysler in Engineering/Quality so I like their 4WD systems. I have had to put minimal maintenance into it other than oil changes and periodic stuff every 50,000 miles or so.

PS I have also taken it through the mountains a number of times in Colorado and even a few average off road 4WD only roads out there with good success.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have specific questions.

Hey guys! Thanks for the comments. They were more positive than I expected.

Since I drive a Jeep, I seem to have a lot of conversations with other Jeep owners. So far I haven't talked to one yet that is unhappy. It's almost like being in a family, in fact there is a club with rallys and a magizine and all that. Jeeps are almost like their own entity and then there's every other SUV. Good luck with your decision.

Harpo

Go Girl!

2002 Grand Cherokee owner here!

When I get to drive it (its mom day-to-day vehicle), its a great towing machine! Don't know the TV-18 is back there...I have the inline 4.0 6cyl...

I have had no maintenace issues to date...

Still only have one complaint...only get 15 mpg around town...19-20 on the highway and about 13 when towing at 70mph...

you'll like it!!!

az

Jeep is the ORIGINAL SUV. All others came after them. I'm a Wrangler guy. Commute in it, off road with it, take trips in it......Mine is the first vehicle I bought brand new. It has 189,000 of the 4.0 HO motor. Jeep makes a good product.

TOXIC

Teri,

What did you decide? I have a 1996 Jeep Cherokee Sport. Periwinkle blue with red sport stripe. It's not the best as far as towing the boat, but it sounds like what you are looking at will have more to pull it with.

I've noticed I have to keep my speed under 70 for the best ride, and no funny smoke coming out the back.

Even though I worry sometimes about the boat being too much for it, I really do like it.

Rainy

I drive a 2002 Most Honorable Grand Chief Cherokee (stupid name). Its a basic Laredo model with the with the 4.0L inline 6 cyl, 2wd (no snow in FL). It's got enough power, but the V8 would be a better choice. The Limiteds are nice vehicles, but I know the Infiniti is smooth ride as well.

Per the overhead console-computer thingy, I get 19.1 mpg overall, and about 13 or 14 towing the 180 FS. And they even match.
nitro.jpg

Well, I am really leaning towards the Jeep. The guy I am buying it from has a very small lot and is primarly a buyer for local dealerships. He is a car auctions until Friday. I called and made him an offer but I haven't heard back. I told him I would come on Friday to see the car in daylight.

The color looked like a green/grey but I really couldn't tell because it was dark. I guess I liked it because it was different than what I see on the road every day. It definitely won't match the Banana Boat. He had a nice red one but it didn't have the tow package.

I put a for sale sign in the Infiniti last night and I will be listing it in the local car magazine next Friday. I thought I might try my luck on EBay.

Brooks, that's a sharp looking rig!

The pictures are my 1997 4.0L automatic Jeep Cherokee showing 127,xxx miles..... It's the second one I've had; I put 231,xxx miles on the first before I started to have engine problems.

It easily towed the 929 Rich Stern and I borrowed for the first NTOWS rally up and down the hills in Missouri at 60 mph - ask Rich, he drove it! Just needed a bit of a boost in the rear springs if I were going to do it on a consistant basis.

It pulled my Nitro 2000DC at 65 mph to Kentucky Lake and anyplace else I wanted to go in Missouri or Illinois - without help in the springs!

I would not recommend towing such a heavy load without trailer brakes. Towing my old Nitro 180 was more difficult than the 929 simply because the smaller trailer didn't have brakes.

My original 1994 Cherokee easily maintained 55 mph towing the Nitro 180 up the mountains in Georgia and Tennessee on trips to Florida from St. Louis. Flat stretches were 65 without a whimper!

me!
40L%20Jeep%20towing.jpg

Toxic,

I am with you. I really miss my Wrangler and regret not holding onto it. If it isn't a Jeep, it is a station wagon on steroids!

Rich D

Maybe a little redundant but well worth it...the best Jeep info is a discussion board at www.jeepsunlimited.com - beware this board is very addictive.

I'm on my 3rd Jeep...this one is a 99 Grand Limited v8 with the Up-Country package. I work for Bass Pro Shops as the Boat Sales Mgr. and have a boat behind my car daily. It tows like a dream.

Latest posts

Back