Installing a hotfoot control

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terry Drugg

Reaction score
I have a 1997 Nitro 884 DC and I want to install a hotfoot throttle control this spring, but I have one question. Am I correct in assuming that the floor under the console is not the bottom of the boat (hull) and it is ok to drill holes to anchor the hotfoot? I do not want to do what my partner did with one of his prior boats, drill into the floor and find out he was drilling through the hull. he was only really pissed. I assume the space between the floor and hull is limited so you have to be careful but is there enough room to install the hotfoot?

Either find a boat that is like yours that has a Hot Foot installed or leave it to a professional.....I know that some boats (most of the newer ones) have a "pad" to mount a hot foot on, some do not as your friend found out.

If there is no pad you can (or a professional can) add a pad there. I remember seeing this in Bass and Walleye Boat Magazine a few years back. They were adding a HotFoot to an Astro and I owned one at the time without a HotFoot. Looked like too much time and effort to add the mounting pad so I decided to leave well enough alone.

Mini

There is enough room. The "floor" you refer to is over the stringer edges and is at its' narrowest at the sides where the Hot Foot is typically installed. Use a drill guide and do not use more than 1/2" screws or lags. It will hold it more than securely! Seat with marine RTV when setting screws. Having a dealer install or someone with prior knowledge is highly recommended. Good Luck!

Lizard I had a '97 896 same boat just longer, it had a hotfoot in it. that is the floor not the hull. just don't drill too deep as stated 1/2" is fine. be sure it fits your height. be sure to set it to WOT, just where the throttle hits the stop if it is not enough you won't get full throttle and to much you stand a chance of stretching the cable. KENNY

Latest posts

Back