IMCO BoatBuckles

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul P

Reaction score
The BoatBuckles come in 2 types one rated for 5000 lb and the other which is Stainless Steel and is rated for 3000 lb.

What is the weight which this rating refers to ... boat weight, tension on the strap, ...?

Is SS really necessary for fresh water?

Has anyone had problems with the regular buckles rated for 5000 lb?

Thanks

Paul

I think rust would be the only issue and I don't know. I opted for the stainless steel for that reason. I don't know how they do their ratings, but I can't imagine the straps getting that kind of stress. Mine hold the boat transom down and I can't belive there is that much pressure from the transom in the other direction.

I have the stainless ones too and they do just fine on my trailer. I dont klnow what the weight rating refers to.

I did have a set of the regular ones before and i got about 1 and a half seasons out of them before the auto retract mechanisim rusted up and broke.

I have had the stainless ones for three now and they are working perfectly.

The buckles that came with my Ranger are stainless and had a 5,000 lb rating, never had any problems with them. I have an extra set that Ranger gave me and am using them on my new pontoon boat, no rust and they work great.

Cass

I had the regular boatbuckles on my tracker for 6 years and sold them with the boat and they looked and worked like brand new. I've got them on my Nitro, don't know how long Rich has had them on, but they look a little worse for the wear and every once in a while take a few time to "catch" but other then that no problems.

In a vehicle accident would be one case. I was in one with a boat and the boat ran over the front winch mount, the straps stopped it after they grabbed. It was only a 14' v hull with an 18 hp merc. Just think what some real weight would do. Clark

A friend of mine was broadsided in the passenger side of his truck while pulling his 22' Glastron. The trailer was still attached to the pickup but the boat landed on the other side of the intersection. Don't know what kind of straps he was using.

Harpo

I've never heard of any being stolen. However, I did see a recommendation that a spot weld or something be put on the bolt to prevent the nut from being removed.

I've never heard of any being stolen. However, I did see a recommendation that a spot weld or something be put on the bolt to prevent the nut from being removed

You know Marty, I never thought of that. I would like to be able to say it was too simple an idea for me but in reality I'm too simple for a really good idea...:blink:

Uncle Billy

I had one of my stainless ones ripped off about 4 days after i put them on :(

I tack welded the nut to make them a little harder to remove with hand tools. Needless to say they havent gone anywhere since.

If i ever have to get them off, my impact gun should be able to snap the bolt, if not i got a flame wrench that will make short work of it:D

WOW where do you guys fish? New Jersey!!! LOL Folks stealing boat buckles OFF the trailer - holy security breach batman!!

Trep

Trep. those are about three years old, and I agree that their condition is a bit disappointing.

I bought the stainless ones for my latest boat, but haven't installed them yet. The 3,000 pound rating...strange.

Rich - I wonder if condition is directly related to storage? My Tracker ones were 5+ years old but I stored the boat in the garage 100%, The nitro's are 3 years old and were stored out side, maybe why they now sell and stainless set??

Actually Trep where mine got ripped off was st Squam Lake in NH. Its one of the last places i would think something would get stolen off my trailer at. Its small town America up there, not a lot of people and very little crime.

As far as the where you store it. It could have something to do with it but from what i can see in my case it didnt. The problem i had with mine is they rusted out internally form water intrusion( IE when i dunk it in the lake). I would think that outside they would have a much better chance of drying out then in a garage with stagnant air( kind of like bunks that alwaysseem to die an early death inside vs out). The ones that failed on me i ripped the covers off them and inside there is a little spring under a plastic cover that is the retract mech. Its kind of like the thing that retracts a tape measure. That little cover was full of water and the spring was all rusted and broken into a bunch pf pieces. Since that water had no place to go i can see why it rusted out and broke. Ths hasnt been an issue with my stainless ones. not only that but overall they look like they are much better built( much more sturdy) then the ones i had before.

A good squirt of WD-40 every other time to the lake and my 2000 models are still holding. The hooks have rusted a little (where the dipped plastic has come off), but they work fine. Word to the wise, don't latch them as tight as a tick either.

TOXIC

Latest posts

Back