hydrofoil stabilizer

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frank M

Reaction score
I have a Nitro 882 with a 150hp motor and i want to install a hydrofoil stabilizer but i don't know which to buy and what to stay away from.... Can some recommend one and tell me if it effects the performance?

Frank M

I purchased a Stingray from BassPro a couple years ago and it works really well. I have a Z7 with a 150hp Mercury Optimax.

Thank you which one did you get the one piece or two piece and which model???? did it slow u down?

I have the best luck with the "Doel-Fin". Not to obtrusive, cheap, and works. ;)

A hydrofoil is just a crutch for a bad set-up. Why do you want or need to install one?

I disagree. Some boats benefit GREATLY from the use of such products. You can only set-up to a certain degree, and sometimes dictated by $$$. We used them on our drag boats, and 99% of those use some sort of planing "assist". These boats are in fact set up "properly". ;)

"Our" prop guru we had around for awhile stated that fact of not liking any foil.

I forget his name....

It plans out fairly quickly but the with the price of fuel going up I think it make a lotoof sense to put one on and being able to have it plan out at lower speeds.

Frank,

I purchased the one piece, it did not slow me down one bit.

I can say that this was the first bass boat I ever owned, and I didn't know anything about jack plates or really even how to drive a bass boat.

The sales guy who was an experienced tournament angler didn't even mention anything about a jackplate and if I needed one, etc. Knowing what I know now I would have purchased one, not that it would make a difference for reducing the "bow rise" or not.

I would have also upgraded my electronics, purchased a ladder, and probably some other things, but I didn't know any better at the time.

A foil does make a difference on my boat, it may or may not on yours, it just depends on what you are trying to accomplish. If it's better top end speed or better rough water performance, a jack plate is most likely the better choice, just my 2 cents.:D

Frank.

I also respectively disagree with Byron. All boats are not equal.

I also have a nx882 with a 150 hp merc. My boat is set up correctly at 3 1/2 inches below pad. If you do some research on this boat you will find that it is a very stern heavy boat. I was thinking of smart tabs (which I would prefer) but there are alot of contours on this transom and I dont think I can get the proper height to angle ratio. I purchased a foil last year but havent put it on yet. Slow speed on this boat is almost non existent. It does jump up and gets up to speed great but you need to keep the speed up and all will be fine. My next try is going to be a jackplate holeshot plate because I am also sick of the backsplash coming into the boat when slowing down lol, plus theoreticaly it should help with planing also, if this doesnt work the fin is going on.

I have the stingray III with the no drll and it works great. No differance in the speed. Better hole shot. I have a 2009 150hp Optimax on a Z7 Nitro.

Latest posts

Back