Hummingbird 798

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Droke

Reaction score
Anyone own a 798? If so what are your pros and cons? Some say smaller screen is hard to read and pic up on details. Any thoughts are appreciated.

I did have a 798 and switched to a Lowrance system just last year, Any Bird unit is alot more user friendly than Any of the other brands out there. Depending on what your wanting to do with your sonar system, will ultimately effect whether or not you will like this unit. As far as the unit by itself, the sonar and map pages are great, i ran mine on a 2010 Navionics chip. I always split screen mine with the sonar, and would use a depth mark and some on shore points to line up my spots with, once you stop moving or are trolling slow the GPS will not be that accurate but thats with any unit. As far as the small screen, you will notice that on the scan option, go into your settings and cut the range down, i ran mine at 40ft and sometimes only on one side. At 100' or more structure is so small on the screen you cant tell what it is. The biggest issue i had was trying to link my console unit to my bow unit, its a long story but if that's something your wanting to do research all your components carefully be sure you can do it before purchasing your unit. Other brands, are about a million times easier and cheaper to link together than a bird. Honestly the unit i had that i was the happiest with was an 898, its a few hundred more expensive but definitely worth the difference, not to big not to small all the info i needed, easy to use

I have the 798ci SI. It has the highest resolution display in the industry. Small screen though, so from a distance small details with the Imaging technology are hard to see like when used at the bow. I used to have a dual station setup so I could use it at the console and bow.

The current version 798ci HD SI is very easy to link to another unit since it is Ethernet capable just like the 898c SI is. Just takes 1 cable plus Ethernet shares more data than INTERLINK.

t-row is correct with the screen size for Imaging. Screen size is important for having multiple views displayed and for Side Imaging. Unlike subjects on Down Imaging and 2D sonar which are determined by water depth, Side Imaging returns are determined by the SI Range setting.

I still use the 798ci SI on the console but mostly for mapping so I can have a full screen SI view with my 1198c SI. If I want a high detail image of something, I take a screenshot with the 798. I use a 1198c SI at the bow also.

The sreen resolution of the 798 is 31,170.5 pixels per square inch. The screen resolution of the 898 is 17,533.4 pixels per square inch. The next two larger size display units have less resolution.

Bottom line for the imaging technology, BIGGER is better.

My Tracker set-up:

SIoverload1.jpg

I ran a 798 in the console and found it usable, but when I put it up front it was too small to really pick out detail when standing. It is a great unit and it found me fish when I had it in the dash. I was lucky enough to find a couple of bigger units on close outs so it is lying idle right now. May try to sell it this spring, or do like Wayne did and put it back in my dash.

E5zero, if you decide to sell it this spring let me know. I really need one. All my electronics are old junk, new stuff is just so costly. I really wonder how they sell enough to stay in business.

Chris, lots of people want the latest and greatest technology. Every time a new model comes out, units that are less than a year old are sold so they can get the new stuff.

It's happening now with Humminbird and Lowrance models.

Chris, I will let you know. I had it for sale for a while, but took it off other boards, as there were a lot of 798's around at the time.

One thing to consider, with the SI units, you have to add a thru-hull transducer(if you don't have a compatible one) and Y-cable to get on plane depth. Wayne knows the part numbers by heart!

I have been really pleased with my Humminbirds, and although Lowrance is a fine unit, I don't see any reason to change brands.

Like Wayne said a lot of people jump on every new unit that comes out. I have a 997 and a 998 now, I bought both when these models were being closed out and saved 1/3 of the new cost on each, I was lucky to be in the right place at the right time.

Whether or not you need to add another transducer depends on your hull and it's capablilites. One size does not fit all.

The Side Imaging transducer can perform all the functions the unit is capable of and is the standard one for a standard application world-wide.

If you have a high performace, stepped transom, fiberglass bass boat, well----that is not a standard application.

If you have a ocean sport fishing boat, that is not standard either.

I call myself looking around for a deal on a used or new but man I never see them anywhere. My boat is a 1994 170DC, you guys know way more than me about the transom thank I do. I find this new technology very confusing. I have spent hours online looking and reading about different brands and models. (Headache!!) Heck if I won the lottery I'm not sure which one to get. Lol, thanks guys for all the advice.

Chris, you might take a look at the Yahoo SI group for install pics. There are lot of them on there. Another thing to do is look at the manual on Humminbird's website for a 798, it shows mounting graphics, not the best detail, but might get you thinking about it.

I told you Wayne was on his game! He has helped me several times in the past, maybe one day I can return the favor.

See ya.

Chris, check your email, I sent you a source for pre-owned units.

You just have to know where to look.

Wayne P.

Please send me the source for pre-owned sonar/gps units you wrote of when you replied to Chris.My e-mail is [email protected] or just answer on the forum.

Thanks,

Brantley Poss

Wayne P.

I would like the same info if possible

email is darbyj16 a.t. hotmail.com

thanks

Latest posts

Back